Best of the BT Line?

pete_d
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good food for thought from everyone. I've just gotten hold of an early WR bottling from batch #04, and really find it refreshing and different. It tastes like Wild Turkey 8y/o, but with less sweetness and more of a lingering fruit taste at the end. I'm impressed so far, but prefer the WT8yo by a bit.

Lamentably, my parents omitted to bring back any BT bottles when they were over in CA and SF, and I was thinking of ordering some from Binny's for an international shipment. What's the difference between the Eagle Rare 101 and the Eagle Rare SB? Apart from proof. What's the general preference and how does each taste?

I have followed this thread with some interest and did not want to jump in too early, but I now offer the following observations (for whatever they are worth!).

When I am asked what is my favorite Buffalo Trace whiskey, I respond with Buffalo Trace Bourbon. When someone asks what is our best whiskey, well, then I face a dilemma. We make 3 totally different whiskies; rye, wheated bourbon, and rye bourbon. Comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. I like apples and I like oranges, but which is better? Honestly, I don't know.

I will offer this. Next to Buffalo Trace, I am very fond of Elmer T. Lee (the man and his bourbon) and Eagle Rare 10 year old Single Barrel. Do any of these stack up to Stagg - No.

Ken

Ken,

Interesting observations. I am often asked what my favorite bourbon is and I have to tell people that it depends upon when you ask me. Different situation and even different weather conditions control what I think is the best bourbon. I always considered the Weller Centennial as my favorite on a cold winter day when the snow is blowing outside and I want something to drink. The first time I drank this bourbon was on just such a day at the offices at Stitzel-Weller. Other times call for other bourbons. The nice thing about bourbon is that there so many varieties in flavor that something will match your mood as your favorite of the day.

Mike Veach

Mike, nice to hear from you! To me, bourbon evokes memories of sitting around a fire, or watching a football game with college friends, or having a drink with special friends. Some bourbons just lend themselves better to some ocassions. I was in Paris about 3 - 4 weeks ago and shared a Wild Turkey with Jimmy Russell. The next time I am in Paris, I know I will order up a WT and toast Jimmy, wherever he may be.

Ken

Ken,

Exactly my point! Different occasions call for different bourbons (or ryes). I could never say that I have a "favorite" bourbon. I have one that I consider the best I ever drank - 15 yo VVO Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond 1967-1982. Is this my favorite - not really because I can not get this whiskey again, which could be another whole thread, but If I were to drink from another bottle under different conditions the experience might not be the same.

Mike Veach

So far my fave is the Weller Antique 107. I have had Buffalo Trace, ER Single Barrel, Weller Special Reserve, Old Charter 12 YO, and Weller 107 wins.

toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.