Let us know you're home...

brendaj
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well folks, the 13th Bourbon Festival is over... frown.gif

Was that fun, or what??

The anticipation was exceeded only by the actual event!

Ya'll please indulge me here. So many of my friends are traveling at this very moment, I am thinking of everyone.

Please sound off when you get home.

kiss.gif

Bj

Brenda,

It was certainly nice to see again you and the several other SB.com'ers I'd previously met, and meet still so many others whose names are familiar to me from these boards -- a very special and convivial treat for this otherwise often not-so-social creature.

The festival itself lived up to its reputation, and the Gazebo gatherings exceeded even generous imaginings.

To your point, obviously, I made it home uneventfully in time to backtrack to Nashville to watch the Titans' horrendous second half Sunday. I was (and am) too tired to really care that much (though it was a wonderful day at the stadium, with 101st Airborne from nearby Ft. Campbell honored, a B-52 flyover, and the 101st Parachute Team 'dropping by'). Always a spectacle worth seeing, regardless of the game's outcome.

Well I'm not quite home but I'm through for the day. Sitting in my hotel room in Little Rock having the rest of the ET Lee that Cliff brought to the Gazebo and watching football. Had a great time seeing everyone and will post some comments/stories later. Houston tomorrow. Val got home safely earlier today.

Randy

Hey, Brenda! Great meeting you...and everybody! We're home, and the girls (and grandparents) are well.

We miss you guys already!

toast.gif

Nancy and I got home a couple of hours ago. Damn am I tired. Nonetheless, we had a great time, and it was wonderful seeing old friends, and making many new ones! toast.gif

Bob

Well, Brenda, after leaving Bardstown, I travelled to Cincinnati to look up an old high school classmate and since she wasn't home, hightailed it to the Ranch. Got home right at 8:30 Central. But no sign of the runaway cooler on the way home....

I'm not home but safely made it all the way to Louisville, where I'll be through tomorrow night, just so's you don't worry. I want to thank everyone for their support of my book. I had a great time. Best Fest ever!

And the Bears beat the Packers. Life is good.

Word here in St Louis area is that it was last seen peaking in Jackie Joyner Kersee's bedroom window in East St Louis. They still haven't identified the accomplice in the red pickup that dropped it off. crazy.gif

The Patty and I arrived home around Noon. Unloaded the truck and the phone rang. "This is Michael, Hans and I are coming over." Sure enough. We toured. At 4:30 PM, Omar called and we decided to go out to dinner. So the festival continued in Lexington. After a few drams of 2001 Sazerac, Jeff and Leslie, Omar and Lloyd, Ed and The Patty headed out to Portofino for dinner. Just got back. Omar was off to vist Jim Duncan, noted Maker's Collector. (www.makersmarkcollector.com)

I need to get back to work and get some rest (mostly for my liver).

Great Festival, Great Friends, new and renewed. (I've ordered brisket B-plugs for Jim and Dane for next year)

toast.gif

toast.gif

Kathy and I arrived safe and sound late this afternoon after a nine hour (non-stop) trip. We hope all our new friends made it home safely. The gazebo bourbons seemed to get more interesting as the week unfolded. Last night's anticlimatic get-together was very relaxing with some fantastic bourbon selections.

We got in at around 1AM sunday morning... I'm still pulling bourbon out of the car... I think that i should get some sort of compensation from the government of West Virginia for killing so many bugs with the hood/bumper of my car... I spent almost an hour scrubbing them off this afternoon... puke.gif

-Chris

And it was a real pleasure for us to meet you both and see our old friends and make new ones in B'town (Chuck, Randy, Dane, Cliff, Bobby, Bettye Jo, Ed, Brenda, Omar, Bob, Dave, and other Gazebo-ites and their spouses of course where applicable!). And of course Jim and brother Dave and the chance to chat at greater length with them.

The people at Gazebo were the best - as Chuck said, not a better crowd anywhere.

Just got home after a 10 hour flight - long connection in D.C. - could have driven in same time. smile.gif

Re whiskeys: Randy's private bottling is pure class: silk, soft smoke, brandy-like textures and flavours - an XO of the bourbon world. Wow.

Other stars: the new Pappy 15 year old (a huge flavor, amazing in a wheater, deep and profound); the twain of Old Taylors from the 1970's (the '86 soft and fruity, nothing quite like it available today, the 100 different as Cliff said but very very good, hard to describe); the Bulleit made by Four Roses (a first tasting for me) - silk again, a big rye peppermint palate with a good rich body, a fine whiskey; and the Single Barrel Four Roses which is like a cross of Bulleit and Randy's Van Winkle Lot B Single Private Barrel. Also, Dane's Black Maple Hill 21 year old and Randy's slightly younger BMH (was it 16 years old?) - both the apogee of aged bourbon whiskey.

Great weather too. More impressions later.

Gary

Walked in the door at around 12:30 am. TSA in L'ville inspected my box of 5 barbecue sauce bottles and a festival glass, then resealed it as I watched their every move! The sauce in the carry-on cruised through. smile.gif A long trip, as I wasn't able to switch from Newark to LGA or JFK. A "slow gallop" wink.gif the return was not.

Thanks to all of you for a great festival. Once again -- a fabulous, fun time in the company of good friends. smile.gif

Can't wait to see you all again! cool.gif

I'm home safe & sound as well. What a great time this was!! Thanks to everyone for making this a spectacular trip! I just wish I didn't have to leave so soon. Oh, and note to self: make reservations for the GN several months in advance next time!

It was great finally meeting you guys!

Leslie and I got home safe yesterday afternoon. We were very excited to extend our festival for a few more hours with our friends. Dinner was fantastic, I'm still full lol.gif

Thanks to everyone for checking in. I think that only leaves Jim & Dave, and Omar (well, Chuck when you're finally back in Chicago... wink.gif)

I had such a great time! Thank all of you for everything!

I love ya'll!...toast.gif

No...wait...we still haven't heard from Koji. His friend Atushi Karasawa owns a Bourbon Bar called Derek & the Dominos. Very cool.

Please let us know when you arrive safely...

Back in Seattle; we had a great time. My airplane bottles made it back safe; including the 142.7 proof Stagg I carried on. Hoping my shipped package with the 4 Roses SB makes it back.

We're here now Brenda, and in one piece. It looks like I've got quite a bit of reading to do here, and a pile of new members to approve.

It's just gonna have to wait 'til manana though, gotta get some shuteye.

Jim's already placed a post that we made it back to CA safe and sound, but I wanted to thank everyone for their friendliness and generosity. Great party!

Dave

Wade,

It really was great meeting ya'll! Please forgive me, I didn't mean to overlook you... blush.gif So...NOW everyone is in but Omar, Koji and Chuck, right?

Hope your Four Roses makes it!

I'm already thinking about next year... drink.gif

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.