Old Fitzgerald BIB

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sounds like an OF BIB DSP shoot-out is in order! Might I suggest that we assemble our collective variants and explore the differences in September? We need something to tear us away from Stagg and Birthday at least for a few minutes!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

But hey, I think Knob Creek tastes like battery acid, what do I know?

haha, I didn't want to say anything either since I know so many love Knob Creek, but I don't really find anything that special about it either. Especially at what they charge for it... Just my opinion and we all know what they are like... wink.gif

--> Mark R.

I think what you guys are noticing is the "wild yeast" edge to this side of the Beam family. The same taste is in Jim Beam regular issue. One would have thought the years of extra age on the regular Beam (some 5 more) would rub out that taste, but it doesn't. This is a classic whiskey yeast, devised as most know in '33 when Beam started up again, but I for one have never been able to come to terms with it. I prefer the yeast no. 2 formula used in Grandad, for example, which is not as assertive/abrasive. Now Grandad at nine years old plus - that would be a treat.

Cy

I think what you guys are noticing is the "wild yeast" edge to this side of the Beam family

You might be right, but Knob Creek has an acidic, astringent, medicinal, tannic and otherwise "off" taste that I don't get in the other Beam bourbons. Dare I say that I prefer the 4yo white to Knob Creek blush.gif To me KC bares absolutely no family resemblence to its older siblings, Baker's and Booker's, which I enjoy very much. This is somewhat dissappointing to me as KC is by far the most affordable frown.gif

Jeff,

See you on a Knob Creek thread, if I can find one, real soon.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hmmmm...

Odd. I like Booker's and Knob Creek, but Baker's has a taste that just puts me off.

Tim

Just a reminder to anyone who thinks they might have a bad bottle of bourbon that several Straight Bourbon members offer comprehensive bourbon testing and disposal services at no cost. My shipping address is available upon request.

I think Dave is onto something with his assesment of individual tastes. I have often hypothesized that the brain makes taste good that which it thinks it needs. To oversimplify, this is why salty foods and drinks taste really good when you are dehydrated. Maybe there is some chemical compound, sulfite, or other characteristic about KC, or in your case Baker's, that makes our brains reject it and not want to consume more of it. This is the only logical way to explain why Tom doesn't think that the Stagg is the best bourbon on the face of the earth grin.gifgrin.gif

No the fact that the price of Stagg approaches $50 a bottle and is not available locally is why I dont think Stagg is the greatest. My theory is that the brain also downgrades the greatness of the products your body CAN'T have!

Tom (LOL SPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTT!!!) C

My shipping address is available upon request.

You are just in the wrong state. crazy.gif The bottles of GTS that I bought in WV yesterday were $34.55 each before tax. After the 11% liquor tax, they are $38.39 each. shocked.gif

I know, it's crazy about how it can be so easy to get in some places and so hard in others, with appropriate pricing due to taxes and supply/demand.

BTW, the bottles I bought yesterday were supposed to be for coworkers back home. But, I just couldn't resist buying one extra for my dwindling stash. Fortunately, I think I am over the initial euphoria (which lasted two months!). Now, I am actually able to resist its allure for a week or two at a time. blush.gif

In my home state (NC), I can't buy GTS at all. But, since, I am visiting my aging parents about once a month in WV to help them with finances and such, I get the chance to buy some GTS while I am here. It's just God's way of rewarding me for being such a wonderful son. wink.gif

That's a great reward, in my book! wink.gif What's the deal in WV? Are they state stores, or privatly owned and operated? I may pass thru this WV this summer, I guess I'll have to stop and check things out! smirk.gifgrin.gif

Bob

I know two things. One, the liquor is sold at retail stores not owned by the state. Two, the state runs a liquor warehouse.

WV ABCA Spirits Catalog

My guess is that the state buys all the liquor and acts as distributor. Note that the catalog above is wholesale pricing.

When I was growing up in WV in the 70's, though, the state owned the retail business.

I wouldn't expect a store in WV to stock GTS. What I did was go to the online yellow pages and look up liquor stores in the city I was visiting. Then I called a store and asked them if they stocked it. They did, but only a case at a time, so I asked them to order a couple cases for me. The first time they asked me to pay up front. The second time I didn't have to pay until I picked it up. I gave them two weeks lead time for each visit, but it seems that one week is all they needed.

P.S. A case is three bottles, not twelve. wink.gif

I did some research tonight. It appears that my assumption was correct. The state of WV retains control of the wholesale distribution of liquor. It discontinued retail sales in state stores in 1991 and allowed privately owned retail stores.

WV ABCA History

Chuck,

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I would be very hesitant to drink from an opened bottle sent to me by someone I know only by correspondence. I assumed that others would be similarly cautious.

If your offer is serious, I will take you up on it the next time my taster tells me that someone else's favored bourbon is dreadful. Now I wish I hadn't dumped my Old Fitz BIB (after struggling through over half the bottle) and Old Whiskey River (after two failed attempts to finish a single drink).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, some of these posts need to be taken with a grain of salt, I think the Bourbon testing service offered by some ( I think I may have offered once, You know it was probably for Stagg or OFBB only!) Is another attempt at humour by some of us aspiring Bourbon Critic/ Writers. It would take a Low Life Son of a Bitch to send a tainted bottle to any of us here. The last time I looked I don't think we have a resident LLSOB yet. You have a good point otherwise. There was a couple instances and long threads here in the past about a bad bottle of Weller and I think Linn got a bottle that he wasn't thrilled with and both where replaced if I recall correctly, and the Weller went back to Buffalo Trace to be tested. Now the question is , do they only do that with scientific instruments or is it actually tasted? I guess they could have used nosing only and that would be accurate enough.

Hi Bobby!

I don't know what the other distilleries do but I know what Heaven Hill does...

Every tank has a test sample taken from it before it's bottled...everything must meet certain specks before the bottling can be done...I have watched this process all the time...It's Kim's job (night shift)...She stays very busy...She does the same with the single barrel bottlings...a massive and very intense job...plus proofing the lines. That means cooking the "sweets" (liquors, snapps etc.) each one (sweets) takes about 30 minutes each to proof...

When a product is sent back...they will test the color proof etc...then...they get the original sample taken from the tank before it was bottled...You are probably wondering how do they know which tank that particular bourbon came from?...There is a "jet" printed date (on the side of the bottle) this is called the Julian date...it tells the exact date it was bottled...then...it just a matter of looking up the papers for the tank number...

After all the numbers are in...then the final test comes into place...It's our taste testers...Hell, Mike Sonne is so good at testing he can tell ya the proof age and what ever ya need to know about it...that's how good of a tester is...

If Mike, Chris, David, and Millard say it fine ...it's fine...We have called him (Mike) in the middle of the night to taste test certain items in question...

Oh Well, I hope this helps...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Bobby,

Your post caused me to think about another angle. If my OWR was really as bad as I say it was (cauliflower, with notes of boiled chicken livers), anyone I might have sent it to might well have believed I was the one who tainted it, causing me to be labeled a LLSOB without good reason (this time grin.gif ).

In retrospect, I probably should have asked Bettye Jo how to send it to the official taster at HH for evaluation. I'm absolutely sure it just wasn't right.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Upon the suggestion of one of the learned members here I tried the Old Fitz 1849 8yo. since I've expressed how much I like the Nicholson 1843BIB, 7yo. I haven't had a chance to try the Old Fitz BIB, of which the KY-1 batch is all I can find. While it was quite good, I like the 1843 better than the Old Fitz 1849. The 1843 is very rich and smooth with a bit of that "cracker jack" flavor I've heard described for the OF BIB (no peanuts that I can tell however). The 1843 is the DSP-KY-16. Some VERY fine stuff, I must say.

Is this DSP-KY-16 a limited item that I might ought to stock up on? And also, wouldn't it be the exact same as the Old Fitz BIB except 3 years longer in cask?

Mark

http://jazztrpt.freeservers.com

Anything with DSP-KY-16 on it is rare and getting rarer, because they aren't making any more of it. Yes, grab it up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.