Gazebo

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I must say that, of all the whiskies we tasted at the gazebo, the one that really knocked my socks off was the Michter's in the King Tut decanter. Who brought it and what was its story?

I brought it, Chuck. The decanter is from 1978 -- so, presumably, the whiskey was distilled several years prior to that. I've managed to snag three full 1/2 gallons (and misc. smaller sealed stuff) off of Ebay in the past year or so. Beyond that, I know no more about the whiskey itself than is commonly known about Michter's.

I discussed briefly with Bobby why this is 'whiskey' and the Hirsch 'bourbon', because they sure seem like at least kissin' cousins to me outside the apparent age difference. He suggested maybe the rye content superceded the corn. Who knows?

Marvin admired the decanter late Friday/early Saturday, so I told him to take it. I assume he did. Don't know how much whiskey was left though.

I'm glad, Chuck, you liked that one better than the Old Charter BIB I brought with which you watered the flowers. lol.gif

Well, Tim, you scored a "best" and a "worst," so I guess it all evens out. I take it there is no labeling on the decanter that indicates an age?

I have some plain bottles of Michter's from near the end that are also not labeled as "bourbon." My suspicion is that it was, like Jack Daniel's, essentially bourbon but for some reason known only to them, they chose not to call it that. It's possible there was something hinky involved, having to do with mash bill or cooperage or something else that would have disqualified it as bourbon, but it is just as likely they just preferred to call it what they called it. In other words, I suspect that the Hirsch is the exact same whiskey but they decided the word "bourbon" would be an asset, applied for the label, and were approved by the ATF.

I thought that was a tasty treat myself, too, although the decanter just made me laugh and think of Steve Martin doing "King Tut"!

I really got a kick out of seeing the old copper beauty out near the festival booths since I'd heard so many folks talk about it.

I take it there is no labeling on the decanter that indicates an age?

That's correct. I've not found a single age statement on any Michter's size/container I've gotten.

We saw this thing sitting in Tim's trunk (aka Whiskey Wagon) on Friday afternoon and didn't now WHAT to think. At the time, it was not apparent that it was whiskey related at all. All we could see was the head. We thought maybe Tim travelled with Egyptian artifacts for luck, worship or black market museum dealing. grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these on ebay for about $20. It arrived today...broken frown.gif. Well, not broken, but the original box was soaked and about a third of the contents have drained out. The shipper seemed to know nothing of good packing practice, so it shipped on its side and the cork worked its way out. I wasn't planning on opening this one, but now there is nothing left to do but drink it yum.gif

Sorry for the bad fortune during shipping -- but glad that it gives you an opportunity to enjoy the whiskey, which (as noted elsewhere) I like very much.

(NB: I always volunteer the suggestion to shippers of such items that they tightly wrap it in Saran wrap or similar.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.