Buffalo Trace - Great whisky and great people !!

Bamber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I emailed BT a while back asking them about the availability of GTS in the UK and recieved an interesting and detailed email from one of their people.

I've exchanged a couple of emails with the same guy since about BT products and he's been really helpful and informative. Its just really nice to speak to someone who is so enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their products.

Hopefully one day, every pub in england will have a bottle of BT sitting where the JD used to be !

I just emailed BT about availability of ANYTHING in Australia about a week ago. Still heard nothing.

For their product to overtake JD on the shelves, firstly they'll have to appear on the shelves.

Suppose I'll just have to wait...

Scratch that. Got a really nice reply this morning for BT. However the bad news is still no supplier down here for at least a few years.

No surprise there, as Missouri shares a small border with Kentucky and we can't get it here either. But then you might get it before we do. crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nice compliment about Buffalo Trace! Part of our mission is to better educate consumers about bourbon so they can make better choices. The first way to do this is to speak with people. If you ever ask a question regarding Buffalo Trace (or about any whiskey in our portfolio) and don't get an immediate response, please send me an e-mail at kweber@buffalotrace.com. I will make sure your questions are answered ASAP.

Regarding BT availabilty in MO and down under; our excuse is that we simply do not have enough whiskey to roll the brand out on a large scale at this time. We have the great fortune of being able to sell all the whiskey we are producing; we also have the great misfortune of not having enough whiskey to meet demand. With the success of Buffalo Trace over the last 5 years, we have ramped up production each year. So, in about 5 more years, we will have all the product we need to enter every market. In the meantime, we are controlling the rollout by introducing the brand in strategic bourbon markets.

Ken

In the meantime, we are controlling the rollout by introducing the brand in strategic bourbon markets.

Ken

Let me guess, Oklahoma is not a strategic market.

Let me guess, Oklahoma is not a strategic market.

I'm guessing Vermont isn't one either. Doh! banghead.gif

On the plus side, I can get a decent number of BT bottlings, just not the actual "Buffalo Trace". I've got a bottle of Blanton's coming special order next Thursday, and I'm thinking of ordering a bottle of Eagle Rare SB. The Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve is also really, really good. So I'll be able to keep myself happy until, someday, we get BT here. It'll just hurt my wallet a bit more. drinking.gif

Vermont is a beautiful state, unfortunately, it isn't one of the higher consumption bourbon markets. Oklahoma, on the other hand, is a well established whiskey state. Still, both are a couple of years away from a Buffalo Trace rollout. That being said, Buffalo Trace rolled out in Dallas/Ft. Worth last March and can be found in any liquor store in town.

Sorry about that!

Ken

Great news. I was in a local liquor store this morning and spotted a bottle of Buffalo Trace on the shelf. The owner said they have had it for about 2 weeks nows. Needless to say I bought it. I haven't had any for 3 years since I was at the distillery. This is my favorite bourbon except the 2 shots of 23 year Pappy I had in a bar last week. O yea, I live in Milwaukee WI.

FYI, if you get down to Chicago, BT is available at Sam's and Binny's (though I'm not sure if it's at every Binny's location. It is at mine, Clark St., in the city.)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my Binny's order came in today, and I am now working on my second glass of Buffalo Trace. The taste is different than any other Bourbon in my collection, so far I like it a lot. A few other BT bottlings arrived today, and I am curious whether any of these share a similar profile. As I understand it both the AAA and the Elmer T Lee (which I aquired in the same order) share flavors, I guess the next few days will tell. Research in the name of science, oh well, someone has to do it.

I was able to find a bottle of BT whilst in London the week before last from Harods of all places (as well as a couple of bottles of Van Winkle...but that's for another post.)

My only regret was that I held off buying a bottle of Eagle Rare SB and a bottle of Blantons because I was hoping to find a bottle of Stagg &/or Sazerac - I ended up coming home with none of them frown.gif Looks like I'll be trying to find some US online retailers to buy them from and have them shipped to Australia...

But I did get the bottle of BT and 2 Blantons minitures, and I am very much looking forward to trying them!

I did get the bottle of BT and 2 Blantons minitures, and I am very much looking forward to trying them!

My guess is you'll wonder at the value of the Buffalo Trace -- if not at the first sip, then by the time you finish the bottle. Consider (at least in the U.S.) that it's less than half the price of the Blanton's.

Im with Tim on this one, I just did a quick calculation & even Air freighting from U.S. plus customs & GST, the BT still comes in $25 AUS cheaper than the Blantons.

For my mind BT is the best value for money Bourbon bar none.

I agree, but I couldn't just order one bottle from the states. And I'm not in a position to justify more than $100 on grog.

Might try a flutter on Melbourne Cup day.

I've emailed Nicks to see if they would ever import something like BT or ER. As of 2 months ago they were selling Jefferson's Reserve for about $75

My guess is you'll wonder at the value of the Buffalo Trace -- if not at the first sip, then by the time you finish the bottle. Consider (at least in the U.S.) that it's less than half the price of the Blanton's.

Well, the BT retailed at 25gbp a bottle, and the Blantons was close to 70gbp. The 2 50ml minatures cost 7.50 gbp each...

I will definately order a bottle of Special Reserve from Nick's Wines in Melbourne though! Thanks for the heads up Pete_d smile.gif

As shall I. Remember however that the Blanton's Family Reserve is the little brother Blanton's. COming in at a modest 80 proof. Might have to order it with some Booker's to compensate. cool.gif

Got word back from Nick's Wine Merchant's in Melbourne. They told me that they are doing Blanton's Gold label at $110AUS. Not sure if i'd ever pay ofver $100 for 1 bottle (exept a 3 litre of something nice)

They have 3 bottles for sale -

Gold Label at $110, Original at $85 & Reserve at $75

I rang and ordered either an original or reserve yesterday (they can't be sure they have stocks, so I said preferably original, if not reserve)

Cost of shipping was $13

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread....

Ken, do you know what timeframe we are looking at to get Buffalo Trace Downunder? (as well as the various other bottlings from the distilery)

I was under the impression that Australia was one of the biggest international bourbon markets outside the US & UK? Does that impact the decission?

I emailed BT a little while ago, and I got a response stating at least a couple of years to get a high enough capacity to ensure continued stock in Australia. Whether this is 2 years or 10 years is anyone's guess.

Dear PD,

Thanks for your e-mail! We're delighted to hear that you've come to enjoy

quality bourbon, and that you recognize that we make some of the best, most

highly-awarded bourbons in the world.

Australia is a market that is of very high interest to us, and we're

considering a number of companies as distribution partners there. However,

we do not yet have distribution of any of our brands there yet. Also,

Buffalo Trace has become highly allocated, so we may not be able to launch

BT there for another couple of years, even if we do select a distributor to

handle other brands in the portfolio.

Are you ordering your Buffalo Trace from an American website? If so, you

might want to try a European site such as Milroys' in the U.K. or La Maison

du Whisky in France. I have no idea if their prices and shipping are more

reasonable, but it may be worth a look, at least.

Thanks again for being a fan - we'll definitely let you know when BT makes

its debut in Australia.

Best regards,

Candy Charters

SAZERAC COMPANY, INC./Global Brands Group

Best regards,

Candy Charters

SAZERAC COMPANY, INC./Global Brands Group

Are we getting ready to see a history of Old Charter with Bourbon Ancestors and all? lol.gif

Candy is our international logistics manager and she regularly responds to people who send in requests for our bourbons. Her last name is Charters; even though she is an American, she went and married a Brit! Now before any of our friends in the UK get worked up, I have to admit that the president of our company is from across the pond. Several months ago I asked Mark Brown if he was going to celebrate the 4th of July. He said he was, but that in England it is not Independence Day, rather it is called Good Riddance Day!

Ken

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.