Is there any "Corked" Whiskey?

Markw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Many thanks, and to Randy, for this tech background. I think there are two issues: one is the communication of this particular defect to the alcohol, and the other, is simply communication of the (natural) corky taste. With whiskey, only the former is I think of practical concern, and even then, not very much because the problem seems almost non-existent. The latter simply does not arise because whiskey is rarely kept long enough to worry about it. smile.gif

Gary

The whole "sommelier" ceremony is silly and pretentious, designed to make

regular people feel uncomfortable and to make unbearable gits feel special.

What could you possibly learn from the cork? That it's wet (meaning that

the bottle was stored on it's side), and that it's not crumbled to bits

due to age or mishandling.

But so what? Does it really matter? They're going to pour you a little

sample to taste anyhow, and that's what you're going to base your keep/refuse

decision on! You either like it or you don't. It either tastes corked

or it doesn't. You aren't going to refuse the bottle based only on a sniff

of the cork! And even if the bottle is corked, will sniffing the cork really

tell you that? No! You're going to have to taste the wine.

At least the "bottled water sommelier" isn't as popular as it once was. Gag.

Tim Dellinger

• 9 months later...

We get about 5 calls from consumers each year complaining of corked whiskey in Blanton's. While we use the highest grade cork available, some still goes bad. Send me an e-mail at kweber@buffalotrace.com and I will help you resolve this. If we make a bad bottle of bourbon, we will make it right.

Ken

I finally ventured into my first bottle of Blanton's (I have, and have had dozens of other BT whiskey products, but never Blanton's), and was surprised at how 'punky' the cork is. So imagine how surprised I was when I see that it was bottled on 5/4/05! Just three months old, and the cork looks worse than the one on my 10 year old bottle of WT 12yo!

Thankfully, the whiskey is just fine!

I'll just make sure to be careful when removing the cork. I'd hate to have to fish bits of it out of the bottle, or filter the whiskey through a paper towel.

So imagine how surprised I was when I see that it was bottled on 5/4/05! Just three months old, and the cork looks worse than the one on my 10 year old bottle of WT 12yo!

My very first bottle of Jefferson's Reserve, I twisted the wooden topper to remove the cork and it twisted right off the cork!!! I had to dig out my corkscrew to get the darned thing out. Wound up using the cork from a bottle of Gallo White Merlot (Magnum) to close it back up... (It fit perfectly).

Cheers,

Ken

It might not be a bad idea to save corks from bottles that you have emptied, just in case.

Probably the closest thing I've had to a bad cork was in a Cadenhead's bottling of 1981 Port Ellen that had been sitting on a store shelf for a long time. The cork was just good enough to do its job, though, so I didn't have to worry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.