Non-"standard" bourbons

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all - as some of you have heard me bitch about in the past, the liquor selection in Vermont is pretty limited. In speaking with the owner of one of our local liquor stores, he mentioned that he had some "non-standard" bourbons that aren't regularly available in state, even with a special order. I've never heard of any of them, and I was wondering if anyone has comments on these:

Old Weller Antique 107 proof $15.65

Old Chanter Proprietors Reserve 90 proof $27.75

Old Ezra Rare Old 101 Proof $13.45

He also mentioned that he might be able to get some Black Maplep Hill bottlings... these are pretty pricey ($50+) per bottle, but I'm tempted to get one to see what it's like.

Thanks!

-Will

All of them are available in Kentucky.( Not sure of the Black Maple Hill bottlings) I dug up an old thread on one of those.

Old Ezra 101

I believe the BMH are a bit overpriced. I personally like the Ezra 101 for a decent pour without breaking the bank.

That's a pretty good price on the Old Charter (not "Chanter"). The others are good, too. I agree with LeNell that all of the BMH bottlings are overpriced for what they are.

The Weller 107 is a 7 year old wheated whiskey and the Charter Prop. Reserve is 13 years old. For what it is worth, the Prop. Reserve received a score of 97 in a long forgotten publication (at least I have forgotten its name).

Ken

I really like the Weller Antique 107. A very nice pour, especially for the $$$. I'd say go for it.

toast.gif

Just an update... due to a really wonderful experience with the Buffalo Trace distillery and a corked bottle of Blanton's, I've decided to support them by picking up a bottle of the Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. I've been sticking to a "safe zone" for too long, so I'm hoping this will be sufficiently different from my everyday Elijah Craig and EWSB pours.

Thanks again for all the inputs! I'll probably try the Weller next (maybe even try to find the Centennial instead of the Antique) to try what I've heard is one of the best "wheaters" around. I'm not entirely sold on the Ezra Brooks 101, but I might get around to it someday.

On a side note - this board and its members are a great resource to Bourbon noobs like me, and a really great community also! Thanks to everyone for not treating me like a dumbass when I ask stupid questions.

Ok, another update - I ended up getting both the Old Ezra 101 and the Old Charter Prop. Reserve. This evening I am having a pour of the Old Charter, and it is without a doubt the most fabulous bourbon I have tasted to date. I'm no taster, but it's incredibly smooth with an almost creamy aftertaste. Absolutely wonderful. My wife, who claims she hates whiskey, admitted that she liked it when I convinced her to take a sip.

A hearty thanks to the folks at Buffalo Trace for making such a fine whiskey! I can't wait to try more.

Just a curiosity -- Is the OC Proprietor's Reserve bottled in Louisville (from old S/W stock -- is that right? Certainly, it's different/better somehow.) or Frankfort (BT)? It'll tell you on the front label, bottom.

It's says "Distilled by Old Charter Distillery, Co., Frankfurt, Kentucky", ao I'm assuming it's the BT expression.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.