Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 YO....opinions

butzchan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello. I am new here....thanks to all for the great information I have found on this site.

I am considering purchasing the PVW 23 YO, but would like to hear some tasting notes (couldn't find any when I did a search). How is it? The only other aged bourbon I have had is the Hirsch 20 YO, which was amazing.

Thanks for the input. smile.gif

I think there might not be tasting notes because nobody actually opens it up. We just admire it sitting on the shelf ooo.gif

For the 23 YO, it has to be the right moment.

Now, someone break open a bottle and tell me what you think!! grin.gif

Picked up a bottle. Bottled at Lawrenceburg, #2644. I'll post a tasting when the time is right. smile.gif

I think there might not be tasting notes because nobody actually opens it up.

I'm not a collector, so believe me if I owned one I'd crack it and sleep like a baby. The personal problem *I* would have would be fear of it becoming my favorite. If I don't have a backup bottle, or at least a mechanism to get a 2nd, I'd refuse to become attached. I've used the analogy before: it's like hosting a foster child--you don't dare get too attached because you know the relationship can only be temporary.

Tony,

The Lawrencburg bottle you picked up is the previous 23 yr old. It was a non-wheated formula and approximately 3,000 bottles came from the batch. This hasn,t been available for two to three years. You should be able to find some tasting notes in the search function.

The current 23 yr Pappy, bottled in Frankfort, is the Stitzel-Weller wheated formula, the same as found in the 12,15, 20 yr bourbon. I believe Julian mentioned the run to be about 900 to 1,000 bottles.

I have (drum roll, please!) one of each, Lawrenceburg and Frankfort -- sitting, of course, unopened and looking pretty on the bar/bunker/stash/pile/collection.

For what it's worth - whiskymag has reviews by Dave Broom (ok) and Michael Jackson (random) - see here

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/pappy_van_winkle/whisky2005.html

Personally, my feeling is that with very aged, expensive rare whisky you are paying more for a unique flavour profile and experience than what is necessarily a superior drink. If you have not had the younger expressions I would definitely have those first. That being said I'd love to try some too smile.gif

Thanks, everyone. Great information. I had done a little research (from past threads) before I made the purchase, so I suspected that this bottle was from the original bottling.

You are correct. The earlier bottle is very slightly green-tinted. You almost have to view them side-by-side to the light (which I just did) to notice the difference.

We will bottle one more barrel of 23-year this week. That will be it until December, 2005. This last barrel will produce only 60 bottles-it's pretty light.

Can't wait until December '05 when we will have about 40 barrels available to bottle. The 60 bottles that we bottle this week will all be sold to restaurants only.

Julian

Julian,

Please feel free to forward 1 bottle to Pepcycle's, a very new restaurant in Lexington, that just happens to be at my house. stickpoke.gif

I hear Pepcycle's is home of the Bourbon Brisket Plug Sammich, a delicacy among Gazebo dwellers. crazy.gifsmilielol.gifcrazy.gif

The 60 bottles that we bottle this week will all be sold to restaurants only.

Julian

Which restaurants? I would love to have the opportunity to try this magnificent bourbon.

Most of these bottles will go into restaraunts only here in Kentucky. We get more bang for our buck in these on premise accounts. If you are ever over this way, let me know & I'll point you in the direction of those that do carry the 23-year.

Julian

Next March I will be attending an annual convention in Louisville, and plan on staying at the Seelbach again. Would the bar there possibly be on the list? If it is, I will plan on obtaining a second mortgage first, they have an amazing selection, but they are awful proud of their bourbon.

The Seelbach has some 23-year on the bar now but I can't quarantee it will be there next March. If they don't, perhaps another bar in town will have a bottle & you can try it there. Let me know when you get in town. Even the new Maker's Mark bar that just opened downtown has a bottle on the bar now.

Julian

RVette,

Which restaurants? I would love to have the opportunity to try this magnificent bourbon.

If you like seafood, you might try Z's Oyster Bar off of Shelbyville Road. Great food and a killer Bourbon selection. That's where I got to taste the Pappy 23. Last time I was there, they were out of the 23. But they had Blanton's, Turkey Spirit and several others. Their bar manager swore she was going to get more... skep.gif

What about it Julian? Did she? grin.gif

Bj

I saw this posting and thought I could relay some helpful information to you. I, like most of the other proud owners of the most recent issuance of Pappy VanWinkle 23 year old, have not yet opened my bottle. However, I do know that it is amazing because I broke down and bought a glass at a restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky called Azalea. The glass was $28. Though that is by far the most I have ever paid for a single glass of bourbon, it was worth it. Also, the pour was generous enough that I could give my wife a sip and not even feel too apprehensive over the decision. Azalea is located at 3612 Brownsboro Rd. in Louisville. I was there a couple of weeks ago and their bottle of 23 year old was pretty much full. Hopefully they will still have some left come March.

Ike

Jack Fryes had it last year, they are on Baxter Ave or Bardstown Rd in the Highlands. Compared to what Ike paid at the Azalea, they had it priced reasonably. Of course that was a year ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.