Tour of the Majestic Dislling Company

stoopsie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Our tour guide was none other than the Sales Manager Jim Crone. He is the only one smiling.

Howie

post-535-14489811718873_thumb.jpg

They stopped distilling around 1974. They were the makers of Pikesville Rye, when it was still made in Maryland. Now they are just a bottler of a number of Vodka’s, Rums, Gins, blended whiskeys and some bourbon. The day we were there they were bottling Military Special Gin. What was interesting was the semi truck that was going to transport the gin pulled in front of us. They bottled the gin, boxed it and put it on the truck in time for it to leave in front of us. That is the epitome of just in time inventory.

Howie

post-535-14489811719177_thumb.jpg

After the tour Jim had us in his office and regaled us of stories when he worked for Glenmore, United Distillers and Barton Brands. He also told of a new product that they will test market shortly called “Red Neck Riviera Blended Whiskey†An Alabama Style Blended Whiskey. It will have a high percentage of bourbon about 25%. We had a great time and were lucky enough to have Jim as our guide.

Howie

post-535-14489811720817_thumb.jpg

The Redneck Riviera Whiskey brand was mentioned in my just-received Malt Advocate current issue.

The description:

"...a bourbon-based blend. Coming in at 49.3% ABV and 'five times distilled', 'RnR' (as it's nicknamed) comes from Majestic Distilling of Baltomire and Gulf Coast Spirits of Montgomery, Alabama."

Howie,

Great pictures. It is good to see an old distillery survive. Jim Crone worked on the Heritage Collection at United Distillers and was trained as one of the Brand Ambassadors for the collection. He is a great person. I do have to say that I did not care for the RnR when he let us taste it that night, but I see where it would appeal to the whiskey and coke crowd.

Mike Veach

What exactly is the appeal of a name like that? Who to they see as their target market? Is it really just a novelty?

The Red Neck Riviera is a local term for the beaches along the Florida Panhandle and Alabama Gulf Coast. They are catering to the bar owners along those beaches as tourist come down and drink their whiskey and coke.

Mike Veach

Ok, I can see it working as a novelty in bars for mixed drinks, but as far as sales to individuals, I can't imagine there would be much repeat business in it. Thanks Mike.

Jeff,

I agree. Tourist may buy a bottle to take home as a novelty but I would think that would be the limit of bottle sales outside of the bars.

Mike Veach

Remember too that blends are pretty cheap to produce, so if the novelty value of the label gets them an extra buck over a Philadelphia or another well blend, that's a nice profit.

What I was told was that it came from Heaven Hill as 140 proof and at least 3 years old, then it was diluted to 80 proof for bottling.

Howie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.