Best of the Heaven Hill?

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Further to the recent post about the BT lineup, I'd like to ask what are your favorites from Heaven Hill, regardless of price? I have an impending opportunity to pick up a few bottles from the following and am interested in your comments:

Henry McKenna

EC 18

Old Fitz Very Special 12

EC12 has to one of my favorite bourbons, but I have not tried any of the above premiums.

toast.gif

I'd have to say my current Heaven Hill favorite is EWSB '94. EC12 and 18 are not far behind; IMHO the EC18 is almost a completely different bourbon from the 12. As for the Henry McKenna, get the single barrel. I don't like it as much as the EWSB, but in my neck of the woods it's very nicely-priced for a single barrel (as is the EWSB for that matter).

I don't care all that much for the EC12, myself, and so was surprised to find that I quite enjoy the EWSB'94. On the other hand, the regular EW was most unpleasant to me.

I'm bringing an EC18 as a gift for a friend this weekend, and am looking forward to giving that a try.

That's a toughie for me...I guess it'd be a tossup between EC12 and EC18. Of those two, I prefer the 18yo, but it's one I have to be in the mood for.

Okay, here's a wishy-washy answer for you: if you want one single tasting favorite, I'll go with EC18, but if you rephrased the question into something like "if your liquor store could only carry one HH product, which would you prefer to see on the shelves?", then I'd go for EC12! lol.gif

Here in the land of communism, I can't get any HH products, but can import EC12 with moderate difficulty. The others on my list are of interest to me, however having tried the EWSB in a couple of expressions, it is probably at the bottom.

I can heartily recommend Henry Mckenna (the 10yo BIB, that is). Is is not my number one but in many ways HM to me, is the quintessential bourbon, in that it manages to combine that robustness you expect from a bourbon with many refined qualities.

It could also be described as the other side of the coin to EWSB. A bourbon that, to me, takes a little time to get to know but definitely worth the effort.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.