Grand Opening...HH Bourbon Heritage Center (Pictures)

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, this post will probably mingle in and out with the EWSB unvieling...but they go hand in hand grin.gif...So I know that it will flip flop in the following posts grin.gif

I had the grandest time at the Grand Opening of the Heaven Hill Distilleries, Bourbon Heritage Center grin.gif

I had a hard time deciding what to wear. Most of ya know that I designed clothing for Kentucky's for-most personalities, for many years until I changed my directions blush.gifgrin.gif What you wear at functions like that, makes a statement about yourself, without words grin.gif

The dress code was business casual. What to wear? I chose my Heaven Hill Barrel Rolling Team, black shirt and Khaki skirt grin.gif Looked like NASCAR, with "Bourbon Style" grin.gifgrin.gif...

When I first walked in, I felt like a fish outta water, but that didn't last long. Gezzzzzzzz...there were "Chiefs" from everywhere. Wild Turkey was represented with Jimmy Russell. Freddy Noe was there with several "Head Honchos" from Jim Beam at his side grin.gif I had a really good time messin' with all of the chief's from Jim Beam, very friendly and very likable to say the least grin.gif Four Roses, with Jim Rutledge, Kentucky Bourbon Festival, Pam Gover...Independent Stave Company was there (Brad Boswell). Press from all over the world was there grin.gif.

I went to the bar to get a drink and to help unwind the tight spring within me lol.gif My Gosh...I asked for single barrel and water he poured a big Evan Williams low ball glass 3/4 full of bourbon and about 1/4 water. Then...Max started the introductions and gathering the family up front ready to cut the ribbon.

Servers walked around with trays (for the officail toast) full of shots of EWSB in really nice Heaven Hill shot glasses...I grabbed one and told Therese to get one too...She would not do it. I grabbed one for her (so I could have a "set" of glasses" and poured her bourbon in my lowball glass and toasted the toast with the straight bourbon in the fancy HH shot glass...Shoot by the time I got inside the new center I had already exceeded my limit blush.gifgrin.gif

We heard all the speeches from Kentucky's tourism officials, Bardstown elected leaders, The Smith family was recognized, The Shapira Family was recognized and The Beam Family was recognized...

Then they cut the ribbon...and the party was "ON" grin.gif It's just so beautiful. The barrel tasting room is just awsome.

I will post more in the days to come. Here is a picture that's shows (some) of the "true beauty" of this awsome spectacular building. You can see the barrel tasting room inside the gift shop. That fountain has limestone rocks and the trickling water really adds to the atmosphere.

Harry Shapira, is the fine man on the right grin.gif I still owe him a dollar grin.gif He's a big cut up but he's the "force" behind the creation of that new Center grin.gif

Another person behind the scenes who did alot of work on this project (Board of Directors, Heaven Hill), but hardly known to the general public as the rest of the Shapira's are, is my good friend, Phyllis Parish. Her daddy was, Mose Shapira grin.gif.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811722425_thumb.jpg

This one was taken inside the big barrel tasting room. We were just getting fired up grin.gif The acoustics are perfect in that barrel...You can be anywhere inside and talk a normal tone and everyone can understand you...Get the picture smilielol.gif

From left to right...Craig Beam, Me, Parker Beam and Jim Murray...

Jim is about to release his a new book...The Whiskey Bible...I hope I got the name of his new book right. Not to worry, somebody will get it right grin.gif He showed it to me and said it's the only copy available right now...I figure we'll be hearin' from him soon grin.gif...

post-20-14489811723448_thumb.jpg

Jim Murray, is in this picture...He's the one in the middle with the long hair and beard grin.gif Don't ask who that fella is in the white shirt blush.gifgrin.gif...

Geezzzzzzzzz...I went and lassoed Jim away from a bunch of folks grin.gif Literally took him by the arm a led him away. My only response to his ??? in his eyes was, I want you to meet my friends from Straightbourbon.com...He graciously let me drag him away grin.gif

I introduced him to everyone and this fella in the white shirt just flops down front and center at our table and we could hardly get a word in...Just joined right in the picture too...Hmmmmmmm I betcha a dollar he was with that group of folks, when I snatched him away lol.giflol.gif

P.S. Here's hoping that someone picked up my magazine on that table? I left it there. My memento's are in there and some pictures that Mr. Ed and Patty gave me were inside those magazines...Did anyone happen to pick them up for me?

post-20-14489811724104_thumb.jpg

Bettye Jo,

I think what I was saying in that shot (have ya'll noticed that my mouth is usually open in photographs... rolleyes.giflol.gif) was "Here's to Heaven Hill!"

What a great party, to present not only a beautiful building, but this year's excellent Single Barrel expression.

With the Trolley and the new Heritage Center (I especially liked the tasting 'barrel' and the still at the back of the building), they've done the industry proud.

I made it a point last night to personally thank Max (he asked me to call him that... smile.gif). But everyone involved was so very kind.

Do you know if they'll be posting any photos to their website? I know the HH photographer was moving thru the crowd. It would be cool if she got some shots of the other distillers and media folk there too.

What a cool crowd that was!

Bj

Jimmy Russell, with Craig inside the barrel tasting room grin.gif

Dave, the glasses that Jeff wrote about are sitting on the bar in this picture. That glass (HH crest) was used for the "official toast" during the grand opening ceremonies.

They are available with the the HH crest logo (in picture) Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams (regular) and Henry McKenna grin.gif

post-20-14489811725155_thumb.jpg

"The Jim Beam Gang" and a few other recognizable faces in this industry grin.gif

From left to right...

David Hobbs (Vice President) Heaven Hill grin.gif, Brad Boswell--the Boswell's own ISC (Independent Stave Company), Freddy Noe (Jim Beam) Me, Harry Groth, Senior Vice President of all operations for Jim Beam blush.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif, Pete Sobel, Jim Beam Plant manager, Frankfort grin.gif

post-20-14489811725753_thumb.jpg

Another picture with some of the industry's finest grin.gif

Let me note right off the bat that Chuck Cowdery is #1 in my book grin.gif...I don't have a picture of him...He arrived late (after I left) frown.gif He had prior commitments for a book signing in Frankfort.

We did meet the following night during the EWSB 95 preview...and...as always grin.gif...a good time grin.gif

From left to right...

John Hansell (Malt Advocate), Jim Murray (Classic Bourbon) Larry Kass grin.gif (Director of Corporate Communications at Heaven Hill) grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-1448981172631_thumb.jpg

They are available with the the HH crest logo (in picture) Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams (regular) and Henry McKenna

BettyeJo,

Although Jeff kindly offered to assist me in obtaining some of these glasses, I would be happy to order them directly, if that's possible.

I checked the Heaven Hill website to no avail. Is there a way I can order them? (My next problem would be to decide how many of each kind. confused.gifgrin.gif)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I'll take care of it for ya grin.gif Just pm me with your address and the rest of the information and I'll mail them to ya grin.gif

Well, I can't prove I was there with a picture of me, but I can show you a couple of pictures I took. This one is of the SB.com group, less Bettye Jo, who was off doing Bettye Jo stuff. That's Leslie and the Patty in front, Jeff with the big grin, Brenda and Ed in the back, and on the right that's Jim Murray with Bettye Jo's daughter, Therese.

post-5-14489811726623_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the exhibits in the Bourbon Heritage Center. The still is "working" in that it has water running through it. The barrels in the simulated rack house behind the still are life-size. Behind that wall is the theater where they show "The Heaven Hill Story" video.

post-5-14489811726834_thumb.jpg

But who cares about pictures of people and exhibits. This is what you really care about.

They didn't really talk about it but if past years are any indication, the 95 should start appearing in a store near you after the first of the year. If you want it to get there sooner, buy all of the 94 you can find.

post-5-14489811727035_thumb.jpg

Bettye Jo,

That's a GREAT shot! You lucky Dawg, you couldn't be sammiched between better... lol.gif

That painting behind you, is that Parker? I know those paintings were done by Jim Cantrell . Heaven Hill commissioned those paintings on the inside of the tasting room, and they are too cool.

Bj

That painting behind you, is that Parker?

It sure looks like Parker, and Earl, and Craig.

Are they , BettyeJo?

Yes it is...Those pictures were painted from old photgraphs taken of the Beam's and the Shapira family grin.gif.

That would have to be the ultimate way to drink it. The guys that made it with no one else around, one can only imagine what might be said,

Earl, " That's not bad , if I did distill it myself"

Parker, " Actually it's mine"

Craig, " Look at the date"

Earl and Parker, " I don't guess we can teach him anything else"

toast.gif

Check out the link.

There's a picture of Leslie, Jeff, Chuck etc in the Heritage Center. You can't see Bettye Jo, but she's giving the family tree a going over.

Gallery

Mr. Ed,

There is a good picture of you in there!!

Pictured with Ed grin.gif...Gary Regan (left), Mr. Ed (center) and Stuart Ramsey grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

• 3 months later...

The Heritage Center looks like an awsome place. I read the article about it that appeared in the Courier jounal magazine a few weeks ago and can't wait to visit.

Ike,

You will be impressed by the "grandness" of everything. It's quite impressive grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Don't forget, that you cannot get samples of the EWSB Single Barrel and the EC Single Barrel on Sunday...and...they are not open on Monday.

Bettye Jo

Make sure you buy Issue 45 of Whiskey Magazine grin.gif Chuck Cowdery, wrote about our new HH Bourbon Heritage Center grin.gifgrin.gif The title, Stepping into Heaven grin.gif

Bettye Jo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.