What's next on your list...

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

of bourbons to try? What have you had your eye on, but haven't yet taken the plunge and bought a bottle? Try not to list a "dream bourbon" that you can't get or won't for some time, but just the next bottle on the shelf that you haven't tried yet. For me right now it is the new Four Roses Single Barrel. I like the 80 enough for a low-proof bourbon, but I have higher expectations for this one.

I tried the Four Roses Single Barrel at the Gazebo, so it's not a 'haven't-tried-yet' -- but I'll likely buy a bottle next time I'm in KY. And, I'll keep going back to the one store in my area that still has Stagg '03 until it runs out, while also searching/snagging the '04, which I also tried at the Gazebo (several times!grin.gif).

You know, now that you mention it, Jeff, I think I've pretty much tried, at least, everything available in these parts. So, when I get back to KY I might snag some lower-shelf gems like Old Fitz 1849 or EW 1793 -- neither of which is available here.

I've got a pretty long "to buy" list, but what I can get here in Seattle is fairly limited by our obnoxious state-run liquor stores. Much of the Buffalo Trace family is hard to come by, for instance. I mail order things now and then, but shipping is costly so I usually wait until there's a bunch of things I want.

Of all of them, Rock Hill Farms is most likely next in the queue, and I can get that locally. However, since I just opened a bottle of Stagg, I might not be shopping for awhile. laugh.gif

I want to try the new Birthday Bourbon. Yeah, I know it's not as old as previous vintages, and reportedly not as good, but I want to try it myself.

Next after that will probably be the new Woodford Reserve, but only if I can get a definite answer on how to identify the "good stuff."

I dont really have "one" on the list

mine is

Van Winkle 13 year old ( i probably can't affor the 20 YO)

Bookers

Stagg

or a Van Winkle Rye (never tried Rye before)

I'm thinking of Jefferson Reserve's little brother Sam Houston. Been looking hard at a bottle for over a year and for some reason just can't pull the trigger. EWSB1995 will take a while to get here considering the amount of 1994 still on shelves everywhere. Now that TNbourbon has picked up some Tribute for me, it's only a matter of time and mileage before I try it. And I'm still waiting for DiCarlo's in Chicago to send me my Stagg 04 case. Shouldn't be too much longer....

I'm thinking of Jefferson Reserve's little brother Sam Houston

That's one I have been meaning to try as well. I wish I could have gotten a hold of it when I was stationed down at Fort Sam Houston, in San Antonio. But then, when I was there all I cared about was getting my Keystone Light for $1.99 a six pack puke.gif

I always see EW 7 yr on the lower shelf and for some reason never pick it up. Will do! The EW 1793 is not bad by the way. Picked up another bottle a few weeks ago. Currently on a EWSB '92 , just waiting for the '95 to show up.

OGD 114 keeps winking at me on my bourbon aisle......but that orange label????? (And I'm the one driving a "rolling copper still" laugh.gif) Will try someday, maybe soon.

Randy

Unfortunately, being stuck with the Alabama ABC, my list is empty. The last new thing I saw was the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve and I already bought it.

Other than that, we are losing our selection of good bourbons. In the last couple of years, we have lost Blanton's, Kentucky Spirit, and Rock Hill Farms that I know of. But the shelves are overflowing with $75 and $130 scotches.

This really $%$.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Tim

I'm thinking of Jefferson Reserve's little brother Sam Houston

For both of you I recommend that you pull the trigger. For some reason I was skeptical about Sam as well but now I have to say that it is one tasty premium bourbon.

On another thread I mentioned that I just placed a "fill in the blanks" order at Binnys, so a whole bunch of new ones that I have never tried are going to arrive all at once.

AAA

BT

OFBB 03

ORVW 10 107

Eagle Rare 10 SB

Elmer T Lee

Ridgemont

I don't know which will be the first that I try.

Hey, here's a question. If I were to drive straight up I-65 through Tennessee and into Kentucky, where would be a good place to stop to get a great bourbon selection at reasonable prices? I know a lot of Kentucky counties are "dry", so I have no idea where to go.

OTOH, with gasoline prices the way they are, I suppose this is a pretty stupid idea, too. smirk.gif

Tim

Probably Knob Creek, never seem to get around to picking one up even though it is readily available.

In the higher stakes, would love to try any of the Staggs. banghead.gif

In order of eagerness:

Stagg 2004 - no chance frown.gif

WT 12YO

Blantons Silver, Gold - Silver Arriving today laugh.gif

Four Roses SB toast.gif

Old Fitz 1849 - Arriving today laugh.gif

Weller Centenial

EWSB1995 will take a while to get here considering the amount of 1994 still on shelves everywhere

Most liquor stores in my area still have the EWSB '93 on the shelves. '94 is only available at a few stores.

Rock Hill Farms is listed on my state's website as being available via special order, but I ordered it weeks ago, and still no sign of it.

There are a few I'm considering, and I would appreciate comments on the following issues:

Buffalo Trace: I have not yet tried the highly-regarded regular old Buffalo Trace bourbon, but, I have a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. Is there a big difference between that and the regular BT bourbon, and if so, are they different in style, or is the ETL just a slightly more select edition of the same basic whiskey? And while we're on the subject, anyone care to weigh in on the distinction between BT, ETL, and Blanton's?

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve: I have a bottle of regular 8-year-old Old Charter and I am very underwhelmed. However, the Proprietor's Reserve has been recommended here. Is there a sufficiently significant difference between the two, such that although I don't care for the 8yo I might nevertheless enjoy the Proprietor's Reserve?

Others I'd like to try:

Rebel Yell

Old Fitz BIB

Beam's Choice (I seem to recall hearing somewhere that this had additional charcoal filtering; any truth to that?)

Just my two cents but Elmer T. Lee is very good and probably a premium version of Trace, itself a premium whiskey of course. The Lee has a fruitiness that few modern bourbons have (so does Jim Beam Black Label which I also rate highly).

I have tried all the Old Charters and found them good of their kind but not superlative, they have a certain husky or astringent quality, I find. The Proprietor's Reserve is the best but it shares the traits of the brand to a point.

When it comes to bourbon whiskey, I know people have favorites amongst the super premiums but one has to go a long way to beat the quality of Elmer T. Lee. It is in my pantheon along with the current Woodford Reserve, Very Old Barton, and Beam Black Label. Recent bottlings of Booker's are very good, too. I realise though this reflects personal preference: medium-aged whiskey, fruity in flavor if possible, silky, drinkable straight and therefore not too high in proof (I dilute the Booker's in the glass to about 90 proof)..

Gary

Tim, Bowling Green will be your last chance coming north, it's been a while since I made that trip that I can't say for sure but it might be your first chance as well. After that, Bullitt County, at the 105 mile marker. There's a short side trip there to Nelson county or just drive on up to MM128 To the Fern Valley Liquor Barn, who by the way, don't consider a 3 pack of Stagg a case any more. mad.gif

Dry or Wet counties

I looked at this link, Bowling Green(Warren County) is the first and last chance coming north.

Gary is right, it is all a matter of personal preference. I really enjoy the Proprietor's Reserve (Frankfort edition) and think that it is one of those "diamonds in the rough", priced less than it's worth. I also really enjoy the 12yo "classic" version, though it is a little thinner in body. You can't go wrong with either Buffalo Trace or Elmer T. Lee. Both are fantastic. I find BT to be a smooth and creamy bourbon, while ETL is very fruity with a little more kick on the finish. Just pick one and enjoy yum.gif

Most liquor stores in my area still have the EWSB '93 on the shelves. '94 is only available at a few stores.

I just found a store that had 3 bottles of 92 and one lonely dusty bottle of 91. The 91 now has a new home. smile.gif

Buffalo Trace recently became available here in Sweden. In fact, there are several bottles on the shelves at my local liquor store.

So, why haven´t I picked up a bottle? Well, for starters I already have several outstanding bourbons from BT at home. Will Buffalo Trace prove to be a disappointment when tasted after Stagg, RHF, Blanton´s gold etc?

Secondly, just like Chasking, I haven´t really managed to figure out what this whiskey is all about. To me it suffers from an identity problem of sorts. How old is it? Does it share a mashbill with any other BT product or is it unique? Is it just Ancient Age with another name? That´s some of the questions that are reeling through my head. (Are you out there, Ken? confused.gif)

I couldn't take the hole in the collection, so I went back today and snagged one of the 92's. Now I have a dilemma, do I break open the 91 and 92, or do I save them since they are obviously becomming rare. So far I have opened and tried every bottle I have brought home, do I break that tradition and begin "collecting" vs. "sampling"? Hmmmm

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.