Booker's Tonight

nysquire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was in the mood for something a little different and imagine finding anything aged more than nine years(generally Knob Creek) here where I live..... After stoppin at 3 spirit stores, I had only one choice.......Booker's!($52 +tax)

On the way to the neighbors house to crack that bottle open, hopefully enjoying life, happiness and the ability to enjoy great Kentucky Straight Bourbon......

post-711-14489811727924_thumb.jpg

I've never quite understood the bad rap that Booker's seems to have with many around here...to me it's more than just 'barrel proof JB Black!'

To me, that's like saying Stagg is 'barrel proof Old Charter.'

toast.gif

Enjoy!

Well, I am back from the neighbors house and I have to say that I'm very impressed. It was much more than I'd imagined.

Yes the strong alcohol was present, but so were the brown sugary tastes and smells. Thought about cutting it, but didn't have the courage to change what in 8 years and 9 months in a charred barrel has already done for it.

I give it a thumbs up!!!!!and at $52 dollars a bottle, if I were rich I'd own another.... toast.gif

and at $52 dollars a bottle, if I were rich I'd own another.... toast.gif

Here in Oklahoma, Bourbon is neither real expensive or real cheap, it kind of runs down the middle. I found my bottle of Bookers for $40 at a small shop, when most everywhere else it runs around $45, you are getting hosed.

Oh yeah, I agree, it is a great pour. Huge.

No bad rap from me. I just can't afford the stuff. As I said in another thread, once, $45 is just about my limit. That is what I could get Kentucky Spirit and Blanton's for, when they used to be available here.

But, the one drink of Booker's I had (in a restaurant in Greenville, SC) was very good. Sort of a ballsier Knob Creek. Excellent flavor and depth.

Maybe this is what I should buy myself for Christmas, this year.

Tim

I've never quite understood the bad rap that Booker's seems to have with many around here...to me it's more than just 'barrel proof JB Black!'

If I ever used that formulation, I wouldn't call it just "barrel-proof JB Black" because calling it premium JB Black would seem a high compliment to me -- not just anything. JB Black is my favorite 'value' (under $20) bourbon.

However, anytime I've connected the two in that way (or seen others do it) it's been to call JB Black "the poor man's Booker's" -- that is to say, a chance to enjoy the greatness of Booker's without the expense or powerful proof.

the first time i had bookers, it was a little too strong for me (ive only been into bourbon for maybe 6 months and i had one maybe 2 months ago) each subsequent time i have it though, it gets better and better. the only word i can use to describe it is "mature." it just tastes and has the feel of a really dignified but rugged drink. i really like bookers and its a top 3 on my "bourbons to buy" as soon as i find a decent job.

I think I have used the analogy as well, The context I was going for would always have been intended to elevate the Jim Beam Black, rather than to diminish the Booker's.

Maybe if they skipped on the deluxe packaging, I could've saved a few bucks.... what's with the wood box? I bought the bottle for the premium bourbon, not the package....

Now to find the next 2 that are on my list....

Old Pouge and Four Roses

I gotta say though, My wife is beginning to wonder if I'm gonna give up my 1 sq.ft. plot in Tennesee for something bigger in Kentucky..... laugh.gif

Maybe if they skipped on the deluxe packaging, I could've saved a few bucks..

Long ago on these forums it was revealed that the packaging of Blanton's added 8 bucks to the price. Some would like it sold in plastic or the Ancient Age Glass and forego the 8 dollar added value. It isn't going to happen. In some ways the deluxe packaging screams to the consumer from the shelf, " Buy Me , I'm Special". So as we go from the bottom shelf to the top, little extras pop up to differentiate the products. Your point is well taken. However when the distillers put out a premium product they must know that merely a label describing the differences is not enough. Back on topic now, I serious doubt that there is anyone in the business that could teach Jim Beam Brands anything about packaging that they don't already know or invented themselves. They are the undisputed leader in china decanters. Also Distillers Masterpiece which is way beyond my means, is elegantly presented. toast.gif

I think you made a good choice, Booker's is a favorite of mine that I pull out for special occasions. Funny now that I think of it, I like Stagg better and drink it regulary, but save Booker's for occasions. Hmm, better rethink this.

BTW, I'm moving this thread over to the general board as no one has posted any real tasting notes so far. I'll move it back if someone is so inclined toast.gif

Booker's ROCKS!!! IMHO, Booker's is what bourbon is all about. I too use it for special occasions. And no, I do not think it is JB Black @ barrel proof. crazy.gif I couldn't finish the last bottle of JB Black I had.

toast.gif

Change of heart: My next bottle will be EWSB 94'.......

After such reviews from everbody here and my ability

to find this bottle.......

I'll let ya know the results.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.