1792 Ridgemont Reserve

ratcheer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I have had my 1792 Ridgemont Reserve for a little while now. As I was initially unimpressed, I decided to hold my comments until I became better acquainted with this whiskey. Now that I've sampled it several times, I am more confident of my assessment.

I remain unimpressed. I really wanted to like this bourbon, but it is almost tasteless. The nose gives me nothing but alcohol. The taste has only an impression of moderate sweetness. Just a faint reminder that it is a bourbon. I am tempted to use the dreaded term, "brown vodka", and I guess I just did.

There is nothing objectionable in the flavor, there is just nothing in the flavor.

My apologies to those of you who may really like this one.

Tim

Hmmm, it got high ratings in the current Malt Advocate. They did notice it was milder or rather less woody/astringent than Ridgewood Reserve. I wonder if the profile has gone too far in the other direction..

Gary

I haven't verified whether or not my impressions of Ridgemont are the same as Ridgewood, but I fear from your tasting that they will be very similar.

Just opened up a bottle and my impressions are similar to Tim's. I'll keep trying. I had some back in Kentucky at a restaurant and it seemed excellent. Of course it was served on the rocks. Hmmm, maybe it was made to be served that way.

Yes, that is a factor to consider - adding ice (or water) could bring out esters and, hence, flavors that go unnoticed in the straight shot. I will try that tonight and report back.

Tim

Tim--

You are dead on with your assessment of this revised concoction known as Ridgemont Reserve 1792. Everything I liked with my Ridgewood is gone--this new bottling has nothing but an obnoxious hot alcohol vapor nose, a flat, baseless palate and a not-so-friendly finish. What were they thinking!?

Now I understand why people think this is inferior to VOB! I really enjoy the Ridgewood I have, and I'm glad I bunkered 3 extra bottles. This new version is destined for ginger ale.

After adding my traditional 'one cube', it did seem a tad bit beefier, but it's still a boring one-trick-pony. No thanks.

Okay, ice did open it up quite a bit. I was able to taste corn and caramel. It was much better than straight up, but still nothing to brag about.

I will finish off this bottle for mindless on-the-rocks drinks and that will be that for 1792 RR.

Tim

Tim,

Do you think its the light rye in this bourbon that turns you off? I know you like a heartier rye flavor. Is your impression, one of thin/lightness or is there an off flavor?

I find this bourbon OK, but my its one of Patty's favorites. She always drinks on OTR and loves the nose on this. Different strokes!!

Ed

Yes, I agree, different strokes.

As I said in the top post of this thread, there is absolutely nothing bad tasting, it is just that there is not much flavor at all (when drunk uncut). Of course, another way of saying this with a positive spin is, "this whiskey has an excellent lightness on the palate." I of course, prefer bold-flavored whiskeys, so to me, this is a negative characteristic. Others may be perfectly happy with "brown vodka".

To each his own. wink.gif

Tim

I picked up a bottle last week and have to agree with the general assessment offered here. It's not bad, but generally lacking in depth or character.

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.