Voting results on Forbes site

NeoTexan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Which is your favorite Bourbon?

Baker's 7 Year Old

26 votes (2%)

Booker's

99 votes (6%)

Elijah Craig 12-Year-Old

45 votes (3%)

Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994

41 votes (2%)

Gentleman Jack

168 votes (10%)

Knob Creek 9 Year Old

198 votes (12%)

Maker's Mark

497 votes (29%)

Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old

13 votes (1%)

Van Winkle 15 Year Old

43 votes (3%)

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10 Year Old

110 votes (6%)

Woodford Reserve

215 votes (13%)

None of the above

246 votes (14%)

Comments? stickpoke.gif

This shows people don't like rye-flavor bourbon as much as wheated, which has less taste. And people don't like aged wheaters as much as young wheaters which have ... less taste. And they like sweetish, uncomplex drinks like Gentleman Jack, which are less challenging (relatively) than many straight whiskeys. I sense a theme here... smile.gif As Jackson wrote in '88, it is "Fear of Flavour".. But this is no surprise, same deal in beer, cheese, coffee, whatever. It doesn't matter: as long as the specialty market is catered for, we can't complain. And there is a plethora of products in this area to satisfy aficionados. Then too, those who like Maker's (and they are certainly entitled to, I like it too) may learn one day to appreciate more complex bourbon. There were good tips just given on the board on how a newbie might approach some of the more challenging products.

Gary

I'm somewhat shocked at the EWSB 94' and the EC 12 year old, and Bookers ( which we are enjoying very much). As Woodford, Creek, and Gentleman jack are alright. Out of these six my vote (and future stockings) go to the first three I mentioned................ toast.gif

Obviously, I don´t know anything about this poll or site, but isn´t the most likely explanation that all these people who voted for Maker´s or Woodford have never tasted EC12, EWSB or Booker´s?

This is normally the typical weakness for polls of this kind...

This was probably not a random survey - so many factors could influence the results to introduce systematic biases.

Availability and cost are likely important factors in addition to those already mentioned.

Craig

(WARNING: Soap Box Rant Coming.)

I hate the media's use of so-called "polls" in which participants self-select. Every expert on market research and "real" polling will tell you that such exercises are absolutely meaningless. There should be a truth-in-labeling law that prevents them from even calling them polls or surveys. Because the poll's participants self-select, the results tell you absolutely nothing. Trying to parse them beyond that is a waste of everyone's time. The real crime is when the media reports the results of these things alongside legitimate surveys and polls as if they have equal merit. It's just plain dishonest. Whenever you see a "poll" or "survey" in which the participants called a phone number or went to a web site to "vote," turn the page. You're being duped and your intelligence is being insulted.

(End of Rant.)

How can anybody taste Pappy 15yo and think it's "so refined that it has lost almost all its bourbon character." !!?!

Unbelieveable.

soapbox.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.