Bourbon -- What a value!

TNbourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is not a new thought, but...

Last week, I attended a holiday tasting presented by one of the area distributors to the store where I work part-time, and among the items we tasted were a couple of Scotches which retailed at $175 and $225 per bottle. I won't kid you -- it was great whisky. But, I doubt if the distributor is selling very many bottles (I've seen it in exactly ONE area store.).

Down the row a few tables was David Sherman Corp., where we tasted 90-proof Ezra Brooks bourbon. The rep pulled us aside and intimated that he currently had a once-a-year supply of Ezra Brooks minis (50ml) to sell at a recommended retail of 2/$1. Late last week, we took stock of a case.

Even in our little store -- where we don't benefit from big volume discounts from the distributor -- Buffalo Trace sells under $20 for 750 ml. Evan Williams Black 7yo is barely $20 for a 1.75L. Evan Williams Single Barrel can be had almost anywhere in our area under $25, and even Stagg is available widely enough in TN that those who seek it out can find it -- and at under $45 a bottle.

I'm sitting here sipping on '04 Stagg and chuckling up my sleeve at the customers who spent over $3,500 in our store today. I got the best deal of the day!

Tim,

I have to agree with you...bourbon is a TERRIFIC bargain in comparison to Single Malt Scotch. Even when I consider the pricier products such as the Wild Turkey Tribute, I think that they are still a relative bargain. Lucky for us! wink.gifgrin.gif

BTW, what were some of the scotches? I'll be trying some at WhiskyFest next week, and those will include the varieties that are completely out of my realm of ever possibly buying them.

Bob

I've also always considered bourbon to be a great value.

Consider also the fact that most premium bourbons are 100 proof and higher, while single malts range from 80 to 90 proof at the most.

...what were some of the scotches? I'll be trying some at WhiskyFest next week, and those will include the varieties that are completely out of my realm of ever possibly buying them.

Bob, they were made for Hart Bros., whose label they bore. I'm afraid I can't come up right now with the literature I gathered, but I remember they were 30 and 34 years old. If I rediscover the specifics, I'll PM them to you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.