What's the best smelling whisky ?

Bamber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened by bottle of my ER 17YO last night and WOW - what a great nose - a stack of pancakes, with maple syrup, pecan pie, apple pie, vanilla ice cream, honeyed cinnamon sticks, marzipan, dates and spice !! Great colour too. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

So here are my top 2 smelling whiskies:

ER 17YO

VW 15YO

Good post! Nosing, to me, is almost as enjoyable as tasting (and more intriguing).

I´ve never had the ER 17yo so I cannot comment on that one but I agree that the VW 15yo (supposing you mean the 107 proof) is about the best that you can treat the olfactory sense to. It does what a good nose should do : giving a hint that the tastebuds are in for something extraordinary.

Other nosing favourites of mine (in no particular order) :

- JD single barrel

- I.W. Harper president´s reserve

- Jefferson reserve 15 yo

- George Dickel no. 12

Also, older bottlings of Elijah Craig 12yo were stunning to nose. Alas, the same cannot be said about the more recent ones. Very ordinary, I´m afraid.

The VW15/107 is the best nose I've found to date. That rich, spicy maple syrup aroma is distinctive and beautiful.

It may be to simple to think about but to me all whiskeys smell great, some do have a different nose and subtleties than others, but all are great.

The best smeeling whiskey? The one in my glass, of course!

Of those I've tried, Id have to give a gurnsey to both EC (12 and 18) for completely different but astounding tastes. I'd also heartily endorse the Woodford Reserve if you wanted a glass to smell like an alcoholic fruitbowl.

I don't know about the rest, but no matter what was in the glass the night before, I love the smell of a "dirty" glass the next day. Caramel with just a hint of smokiness. It's a great smell to start the day with.

I love the smell of a "dirty" glass the next day. Caramel with just a hint of smokiness. It's a great smell to start the day with.

You start the day with just the smell? Work sure goes a bit easier if you've got a nice pour of EC 12 in your belly when you get there!

Bourbon, the breakfast of champions! bowdown.gif

Unfortunately, my day starts at 5pm and have to be at work at 7pm. But happy hour at the Gr8erdane Bar and Grill runs from 8am to 9am Mon-Wed. The rest of the week I have a pour when the mood suits me. toast.gif

Well, I don't know if it's the best nose I've ever experienced, but I discovered a very pleasant one just last night purely by accident.

As noted in another thread, I attended a scotch vs. bourbon mock debate, and among the presented bourbons was Booker's.

At one point during the tasting, I cut the Booker's with some water (by guesswork, to an estimated 100 proof), but then got sidetracked tasting several other whiskies and just watching the festivities.

Well, Booker's had never stayed in my glass that long before, and when I went back to it -- maybe after 20-30 minutes -- I was immediately put in mind of candied taffy apples. You know, like from the fair. What's more, the palate registered the flavors to match.

Very nice.

If I have the patience, I let my bourbon breathe for 15 or 20 minutes. The alcoholic part tends to fade away giving room for all kinds of sweet delicious aromas.

Anyway, here's my list

Wild Turkey 12

ORVW 15

Eagle Rare 17

JD Single Barrel

Jefferson Reserve 15

(Worst nose: Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12.)

/Mats

let's see, open bottles right now would be Booker's,

EW vintage 94', EC 12 yo, Weller's centennial.....

Got to be the Weller's Centennial..... Candy in a bottle....

That could change after the weekend though, as we'll be opening the EC 18, and VW special reserve......

I'l let ya know....... Cheers....... toast.gif

I don't know about the rest, but no matter what was in the glass the night before, I love the smell of a "dirty" glass the next day. Caramel with just a hint of smokiness. It's a great smell to start the day with.

I love that too ! An old Bourbon glass smells fantastic - you try that with an old Islay glass and you'll think you've stuck your nose in an ashtray.

I havent nosed too many bourbons but my favorite so far has t be Evan Williams Single barrel 93. Its a lightbourbon but it has such a pleasantly sweet smell thats not overbearing at all and just right. very gentle like a truffel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.