Uigeadail

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can confirm that the 10-year-old, 92 proof is a distillery bottling. We were supposed to taste it the other night but they substituted Uigeadail instead. I can't speak directly to the 10-year-old expression. I tasted it in the Spring but don't know where my notes are. However, I'm certainly warming to the distillery itself, so would be willing to try pretty much any of its products. For bourbon drinkers who find most malts too wimpy, Ardbeg could make you a believer.

I've just got hold of one of the last bottles of 17yr old from the last barrel, sorry guys they're not shipping it to the U.S.A.

I stock the Uigeadail on my bar and recently collected a bottle of the 'very young' and 'Serendipity',

The Very Young is a 3 year old from a batch that is being released every few as a new expression. e.g. the next one will be called 'Not so Young' etc. and all of them at cask strength. eventually I'll be able to sample Ardbeg from differant bottles as an example of the aging process and what the barrel brings to the whisky.

The serendipity is an accidental vatting of Glen Moray (30%) and a very old Ardbeg (70%). It doesn't compare in power to the regular expressions but as a whisky in its own right its pretty special.

Both well worth looking out for on E-bay.

Just to make you guys really jealous, a friend of mine has just bought a bottle from the year he was born, from before the distillery originally closed down.

Ardbeg 17 is still to be found in the States if you look hard enough. The only problem is that the places who have it don't ship. Also, Ardbeg Very Young is 6 years old and the newer version is Ardbeg Still Young also 6 years old.

Sorry, my bad, more enthusiasm than research.:rolleyes:

But I'm looking for the 'Still Young' here in the U.K. and haven't managed to find any yet, not even on the Ardbeg website. My rep told me it was out in April, is this true or is it available elsewhere already.

Some samples of the "Still Young" are out but there hasn't been a release yet. I heard that it will be mid-April. I'm hoping it will be mid-April!

Sorry, my bad, more enthusiasm than research.:rolleyes:

But I'm looking for the 'Still Young' here in the U.K. and haven't managed to find any yet, not even on the Ardbeg website. My rep told me it was out in April, is this true or is it available elsewhere already.

• 2 months later...

Uigeadail has the most checkered US release I have ever witnessed. Initially Brown-Forman imported it and planned a release, about two years ago, before scrapping plans and leaving us high and dry in NY. This summer Moet-Hennesy finally released Uigeadail into the US market on a "limited release" basis. Uigeadail should now be on the store shelves, even though we initially had to pre-order locally, there appears to be more stock than interest.

Strange thing though, Moet Hennessy suposedly imported and released it, but all the bottles I have seen say imported by Brown-Forman. Makes me think it has been sitting in a warehouse in the US for the last two year, for no damned reason.

*P.S. Word is that Ardbeg will have a new release in the US market sometime this fall, and it is not Ardbeg Very Young.

I've read the Uigaedail is a blend of 10-12 year old Ardbeg and a much, much older Ardbeg. Does anyone know how older the older whisky is?

From what I understand, the older component(s) of Uigeadail are 1970s-vintage. The older elements of the vatting are sherry-casked, as well.

It's expensive enough that I haven't had any in a while - but, IMO, it's a better deal than Lagavulin 16yo, as it's cask-strength. I need to bust my budget and pick up a couple of bottles!

Deep in my bunker, there's an unopened bottle of Ardbeg 1977, which is bourbon-casked. I've had a couple of bottles of this before it became extinct, and it's a truly outstanding Islay. I've heard that the 1974 was even better, but it was way, way, way out of my price range, even before it became unobtainium.

My intention is that the next time my brother-in-law (a native of Manchester, England who loves Ardbeg 10yo) comes down here to visit, the cork is going to be pulled from said bottle of Ardbeg '77.

The very oldest single malt I've had was Glenrothes 1974, a Speyside that had a strong citrus note to it. I really regret that I didn't pick up a spare bottle of it when I had the chance! I did share some of this with my brother-in-law, and it was well appreciated...

The oldest single-grain Scotch, and the oldest whisk(e)y I've ever had was a Hart Brothers bottling of Alloa 40yo. It had a soft, buttery note to it that I've never found in anything else - and it was a good way to learn that well-aged Scotch grain whisky can be quite a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Uigeadail at Binny's for $70 and 10-year for $50. Those were the only Ardbeg expressions they had.

The oldest single-grain Scotch, and the oldest whisk(e)y I've ever had was a Hart Brothers bottling of Alloa 40yo.

Just to add my 2 cents, the oldest single grain whisky (and oldest whisky in geenral) I have ever had is the new Scotts Selection North of Scotland bottling. It is 41 years old and to me is VERY reminiscent of bourbon! If you like bourbon, you'll love this single grain. Binnys has it,

Scott's Selection North of Scotland 1964-41yr Old.

I tried it at WhiskyLive in NYC and really liked it so I purchased it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a bottle of Uigeadail today. I am very impressed. I really, really like it. It is incredibly smooth and oh so smoky. I still have a question when it was said, "the older whisky is a 70's Vintage" Does that mean it was distilled in the 70's and just now bottled?

Thanks

Yes, and 1970s-era Ardbeg is phenomenal. Other than what gets vatted into Uigeadail, the only 1970s Ardbeg I've had is the 1977, and it's sublime. 1974 is considered to be the peak of the old pre-Glenmorangie-ownership production, but its price was so out of whack that I never have tasted it. Unfortunately, you're unlikely to find either on a store shelf anymore.

I don't think I mentioned this in my original post, but when I tasted Uigeadail, we tasted four other Brown-Forman products on the same night. They were Appleton Rum, Jack Daniel's (Gentleman Jack), Woodford Reserve, and a South African cream liqueur.

I literally could still taste the Uigeadail two days later.

Yes, very much, even on the second day. I would buy it if my budget allowed and will drink it for free every time the opportunity is offered.

I have a bottle that I sample from every now and again and it is wicked stuff. If you have a chance try Lagavulin 12 YO Cask Strength. It is really wicked stuff!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.