Bourbon in a red velvet bag?

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi folks,

I posted in a previous thread that my wife found a local liquor store owner with a special-order bourbon stash that he keeps for "special" folks, and talked him into letting her buy from it.

She says that he had a bottle that cost around $70, and came in a red velvet bag, but she can't remember the name. The store owner isn't in on the weekends, and I'm twitching quite badly in trying to figure out what this could be.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

Thanks,

Will

Woot!!! I am heading there ASAP come Monday to see if he can part with it. You're not even supposed to be able to get Pappy here in VT... this guy is my idol!

Of course, I have to keep it quiet from the wife, otherwise she'll think that the bourbon's she got me for my birthday aren't "good enough", and that she should've gotten me the Pappy.

Between Pappy, Blanton's, and Rock Hill Farms, this is shaping up to be a merry holiday season indeed!

Will if its new stock I wouldn't know offhand but I have seen some of the Weller expressions in a red velvet bag in times past.

Regards,

Squire

It did indeed. My wife confirms that this is the bag and bottle she saw in the back room. Guess I know where I'm headed on Monday!

Now another question - is Pappy 20 worth the $70? I'm desperate to try any Van Winkle offering at all.

The $70 is an excellent price: Pappy 20 is going for $89.99 here, and that $70 bottle may be the older Pappy 20 from Lawrenceburg, rather than the newer Frankfort bottling. Go for it! Cheers, Ed V.

It's all the same whiskey (Stitzel-Weller wheated bourbon) but the different ages make a big difference, especially since the label only really tells you the minimum age. It's not unusual for a Van Winkle to actually be a couple years older than the label says.

and that $70 bottle may be the older Pappy 20 from Lawrenceburg, rather than the newer Frankfort bottling.

Either way you are still getting the same Stitzel-Weller bourbon. Julian brought all his bourbons to Buffalo Trace. And in another year or so some of his 20yr will be 23 yr and we can expect another bottling of that excellent pour.

I imagine he doesn't have much 10 yr stock left as S-W shut down in the early 90's.

Now another question - is Pappy 20 worth the $70? I'm desperate to try any Van Winkle offering at all.

I've only had the 20YO in bars, but on that basis, I'd have to say I prefer the 15YO 107 by some margin. The 20YO is a great drink, with lots of complexity from the wood, and a beautiful bottle but personally there are *a lot* of bourbons I would rank above it. Including:

VWFR Rye 13YO

VW 15YO 107

VW 12YO lot b

Basically the 20YO is a bit too dry for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.