"Flask Bourbon"

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I received a nice hip flask along with some ER 101, Weller SR and VSOF from my wife for my birthday. Whenever I go out, I usually end up somewhere where the bourbon selection is Maker's for $7 / pour, or JB White. So now I'm tempted to bring a flask of something a little better along.

My question is this - how does a flask change the taste of the bourbon? I'm assuming that the nose becomes less important, since there's really no way to smell the bourbon. What bourbons stand up well in a flask?

Thanks,

Will

Will, greetings from a fellow <font color="brown"> flaskaholic </font>. So my answer to your question might be a bit long winded, but here goes. First off, Do you drink right from the flask (flask-proof) or do you pour and add water? If you're a straight-up drinker, you'll want to choose a bourbon who's merits for you are in the bottle, not in the nose (as you suspected). Something chewy with good body.

Is your flask glass or metal? If it's metallic, then I have found it a psychological impedement to enjoying my more expensive pours. (Same with beer, I'm a non-tin man). It's a common practice to store bourbon in stainless and some claim it has little or no detrimental effect, but I don't believe it.

What time of year do you intend to use your flask? For winter flasking, you might want to try something rich and spicey like Wild Turkey 101 (I prefer the 8yr but it is available duty free). For summer, you might like to try something brigher and lighter.

Regardless, it's always a treat to bring along your favorites. Ultimately, though, in order to get full enjoyment, IMHO you'll have to also bring along your favorite glassware.

toast.gif

Certainly this will vary from flask to flask, but a while ago I had some Jack Daniels in a metal flask, and it ended up in it for several days. When I then poured it into a clear glass, it had turned grey.

puke.gif

I have heard that whiskey should not be stored in leaded glass decanters because it will leach the lead out. Apparently something similar happens with some (cheap) flasks. Ideally, of course, the whiskey will not be in the flask that long!

Hmm, my understanding is that the flask is actually pewter, so I'm not certain how that would affect the flavor. I'll probably be sneaking drinks right from the flask, at least until I learn what places will 86 me for it and which won't.

I had some Jack Daniels in a metal flask, and it ended up in it for several days. When I then poured it into a clear glass, it had turned grey.

That's a disturbing story. Apparently the person who she bought it from talked her out of buying a stainless steel flask, because the pewter is supposed to have less effect on the contents of the flask. I guess now's as good a time as any to put that to the test.

I use stainless steel flasks quite often and have had no problems. However, I'm sure I read that you shouldn't keep it in them for very long and should always flush the flasks with water thoroughly after emptying them.

usually i sacrifice 6-7 dollars and buy their cheapest bourbon on the rocks to get started and then let as much ice as i want melt down and then drink it, leaving the perfect amount of ice left for a good chilled pour, thenleaving you with a perfectly good glass to pour into after all the ice is gone, just make sure that the bartender can't see you hehe.

Funny, I just ask for a glass and ice.

I Did this recently at the track and didn't even get a flinch from the bartender.

It was flask wars that day. Everybody seemed to have something different and shared.

Nothing Gray or off-flavored. Of course, nothing was in the flask for more than two hours.

toast.gif

Thanks Dave. Looks like I should replace my empty bottle of EC12 and see how it stands up in the flask.

Experience has proven that being obvious is the best way to avoid suspicion. My dad always said, "Just act like you know what you're doing."

(Its OK, I'm a limo driver)

smilielol.gif

Last summer I tossed my 6oz. stainless flask, 1/2 full of Corner Creek, into my tackle box after a fishing trip. Forgot all about it until a few months later. I poured the contents into a rocks glass and enjoyed......no diff. in taste noticed.

Old Grandad 114 - tastes great straight from the flask !

Like you say the nose is gone, so focus on Bourbons that are more taste than smell

That must've been an interesting moment.

Between the lures, gummy worms and jar bait. HMMMM, wonder if the bourbon tastes or smells like the rest of this stuff?

Nope, just fine.

Wait a second, is that half a Velveeta on white bread wrapped in foil?

HMMM? crazy.gif

Similar experience. Bought a new vest on a fishing trip and a couple years later grabbed the old one for a short trip and found a 6oz flask of 7yr 107 Weller in a pocket. Stuff was as good as ever.

Regards,

Squire

As others have said, the material makes a difference. My flask is glass so it changes the whiskey not at all. I seldom drink directly from it, however, so that's not an issue. Mine has a double cap. The outer one is a shot glass. However, I rarely use that either. I either pour into a normal glass or drink directly from the flask.

My main criteria for what to put in the flask is proof. Since the flask only holds a limited amount, I want to get the most out of it by carrying as high a proof whiskey as possible, usually no less than 100.

No really, where can I get one of these flasks that stays full? After a couple hours I often wish my flask was still full, it would sure be nice to have one of those. skep.gif

I have two flasks; one 6oz (Jim Beam Black holiday package, last year,) and an 8oz. Both stainless, and well used. I agree with Chuck that higher proof bourbons are better for flask sipping. Being on the move, or whatever the situation is that necessitates a flask instead of your usual drinking glass, you're likely to be taking small or discreet nips, and stronger bourbon is more satisfying that way; it seems to "go further".

I have taken a flask to a bar on three occasions that I can remember, and it's not yet caused a problem. No need to hide it, but be discreet, and order at least one drink from the bar.

• 3 weeks later...

For wintertime, I've found that Eagle Rare 101 straight from the flask is a good way to ward off the chill (and it still tastes quite good as well!).

Thanks again to everyone who responded here - I'm looking at trying the Old Grandad BIB next, since the 114 is not available here.

I recently bought the Jim Beam Black Christmas pack for the flask and a friend likes JB Black. It's a S.S. flask and I put EC 18yo in it. Been excellent so far.....and it beats the same ol' bar bourbon selection of Jim, Jack and Makers anyday...... toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.