Bulleit

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In response to the press release Jim posted under industry news, I find Bulleit fascinating. First, let me say I think it's a first class whiskey. Second, I find it interesting that Diageo has gotten behind this in a big way and is trying to make Bulleit their product to compete with Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Maker's, etc. Third, I find it sad that Tom Bulleit, a genuinely nice guy, is going around telling stories about a fictional ancestor. I had always assumed that the story of Augustus Bulleit was puffed up, but it's looking more like he was completely invented. That's unfortunate.

Chuck,

I'm curious regarding your basis for saying that the story is fiction.

I have to admit that when I read the story, the timeline didn't make sense to me. At the time, I attributed my misgivings to my nit-picking nature, nothing more.

The story is that Augustus Bulleit died just prior to the Civil War, "in the 1860's". Then no one from the family returned to bourbon making because of world wars, The Great Depression and prohibition until 1987.

Well, the attack on Fort Sumter was in April, 1861. That leaves such a narrow window that it seems odd to refer to the "1860's". It would have had to be 1860 or 1861. Why not say which one?

Secondly, the time interval between, let's say, 1860 and the next major event alluded to, namely World War I, was approximately 50 years. As I read the account, I couldn't help but wonder what accounted for the lack of bourbon making during that time.

It always upsets me when I learn that a good story isn't true. I hope you are mistaken, but I know you wouldn't make such a statement lightly.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I find Bulleit fascinating. First, let me say I think it's a first class whiskey.

A friend of mine who lives in New Hampshire (and who I recently introduced to Bourbon) called me up at 11:00 (PM, I might add) this past Saturday... he and a friend had purchased a bottle of Bulleit and consumed a goodly portion of it. They then got into an argument over what the definition of bourbon was, and how it was different than other whiskies. Since I'm the one who introduced him to bourbon, my friend decided it would be a good idea to call me and ask...

I didn't mind answering his questions, and to make up for it, he's bringing me a bottle of Bulleit next week when he's coming up here! I'm looking forward to trying it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.