W.L. Weller Special Reserve (7 yr old)

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all,

I received a bottle of Weller Special Reserve as a gift, and I've been slowly making my way through the bottle (I tend to rotate between all my bourbons, and I've got about 12 bottles open right now). I enjoy this bourbon, but find that it's got just the tiniest bitter or harsh aftertaste. For the money ($12), I really can't complain, because I still enjoy it more than Maker's Mark, and Maker's is 2x the price.

Is this taste typical of all the Weller bottlings, or is it just because Special Reserve is their low-end offering? I have an opportunity to buy some Weller Antique 107... if I like everything about the Weller Special Reserve except for the finish, do you folks think I'll enjoy the Weller 107? I'm in the middle of purchasing a house, so funds for bourbon have became scarce in the past few weeks, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to pick and choose my purchases more carefully, because I'd hate to think money I spent on a "bad" (subjective, of course) bourbon could've gone towards the house.

Thanks,

Will

Weller 12 Year Seems to be the preferred bottling overall. I didn't bother to dig anything up but I believe the Antique 107 draws less favorable reviews of the Weller line.

I've only had one bottle of the Weller 12, and I found it to be more harsh than the Weller 7. To me, the harshness of the Weller 7 is strange because it only becomes bothersome when the bottle is about half empty. When first opened the Weller 7 is mellow. But when the bottle is half empty I add one teaspoon of water to a a 50ml drink to deal with the harshness.

Thanks, I'll try adding a small amount of water to see if that smooths it out. And you're right, the bottle seems to become more harsh the further into it I get...

Try the Weller 7yo on ice. I don't like it much straight, but on ice it's a great tasting bourbon. If you can, try the Weller 12 year old...that's one of my favorites, any way you drink it.

I really like the Weller Antique 107 and the Centennial 100. I find a couple drops of water can be beneficial to the Weller line.

toast.gif

How does the Weller line stack up again (pricewise, style-wise)? The only one which I have had before is the 107 Antique, which I thought was quite good.

How does the Weller line stack up again (pricewise, style-wise)?

Great values -- the only one which will approach $30 is the Centennial 10yo (unless you luck into the one-time W.L. Weller 19yo bottling for the original Antique Collection). Most can be had for $12-$20 per 750ml -- even the excellent 12yo Weller.

On a recent visit to Liquor Barn in Louisville, I was pleasantly surprised to see Weller Centennial priced at $22.99 while its former stablemate in the Bourbon Heritage Collection, Very Special Old Fitzgerald, is still priced at $30+. I bought the Centennial and a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 1849 for $14.29.

The Weller line consists of:

W.L. Weller Special Reserve (7 years, 90 proof)

W.L. Weller Aged 12 Years (90 proof, $14.99)

W.L. Weller Centennial (10 years, 100 proof, $22.99)

W.L. Weller Antique (7 years, 107 proof, $17.99)

The prices given are actual prices I've paid within the past year in Chicago or Kentucky. I don't have a recent price for Special Reserve, but it would be at the low end of the above range.

Thanks, Chuck. That squares with what I found on greatbourbon.com.

I'd be interested in how people familiar with all four rate them relative to each other.

What are all the bottlings of the Weller line?

W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7yo, 90 proof

W.L. Weller Antique 7yo, 107 proof

Weller Centennial 10yo, 100 proof

W.L. Weller 12yo, 90 proof

W.L. Weller 19yo, 90 proof (one-time bottling first year of Antique Collection)

Rebel Yell (no age statement, so probably 4yo, 80 proof) is a one-time sibling orginated by Stitzel-Weller, but now bottled by David Sherman Corp. in St. Louis from purchased whiskey. It remains a 'wheater' according to the brand's website, which even still invokes the W.L. Weller connection.

I've only had one bottle of the Weller 12, and I found it to be more harsh than the Weller 7. To me, the harshness of the Weller 7 is strange because it only becomes bothersome when the bottle is about half empty. When first opened the Weller 7 is mellow. But when the bottle is half empty I add one teaspoon of water to a a 50ml drink to deal with the harshness.

Thanks for the advice. I had another pour tonight with some water added, and it smoothed it out a bit. The funny thing is that I almost prefer the little bit of "bite" or rawness that I get from the Weller to the smoothness of Maker's Mark.

I had another pour tonight with some water added, and it smoothed it out a bit.

Come to think of it, the label on the back of the bottle mentions taking the Weller with water.

As I said in another post, you and I have been at this for about the same length of time. There's a lot of bourbon I have not yet tried. But so far the Weller is the only bourbon I add water to (and like I said only when the bottle is half empty). I add water to some single malts, but no other bourbons so far.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.