Bourbon Heritage Center Article

BSS
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In Friday's State Journal(Frankfort newspaper), there was an article about the Broubron Heritage Center at Heaven Hill. I would scan it and put it up here but my scanner isn't working. I don't think the paper has a website either.

In the article it was talking about on the tour you could go into one of the warehouses, heres what it says: "The visit isn't limited to models. Tours are given of an authentic rickhouse - some call it a rackhouse where the bourbon barrels are put to bed for the aging process. The oldest barrel in the seven-floor rickhouse is dated 1971, the same year this particular rickhouse was built. It's the youngest of Heaven Hill's warehouses."

Betty Jo might be the best source for this information, but is that 1971 barrel just there to say they have a barrel from the year the warehouse was built or is there a plan to use that barrel for some special bottling? I can't imagine that barrel would have much left in it after 33 years. Or was that a printed incorrectly and they meant 1981?

Brandon

Brandon,

There is no mistake in the age of that barrel. We (me and Koji) were in warehouse "Y" several years ago and both of us wondered if there was anything left inside grin.gif

Heaven Hill, has bottled bourbon, 28 years old. I posted a picture of the label on these forums. Old Heaven Hill, 28 years old, EXPORT, Japan. I have never seen it bottled personally, but I found one of these bottlings "intact" not long ago grin.gif Wax sealed grin.gif

I posted a picture in this thread from inside the visitor center, during the grand opening grin.gif

You can learn alot with a visit there. Lots and lots of educational displays. With a touch of a button you can view small clips of the Distillery (Bernheim) with narration done by Craig Beam, detailing steps in making bourbon...There is a movie theater where you can watch and learn more about Parker Beam (Master Distiller) and Heaven Hill. The long part of the building is filled with pictures and "Bourbon History". In this section, a very "large" picture is used as a "back drop" for all the "early days stuff". This is my family of Beams, all standing on the front porch of the Old Jail House---now Jailer's Inn---at Bardstown. There is a small caption beneath this picture with my name giving credit to donating it to Heaven Hill...but it does not caption the "true rarity" that it is. In that picture...There are 8 Master Distillers, in one family...Truely remarkable. At the time, the picture was taken (probably around 1935) My great-grandfather, was Master Distiller for Heaven Hill. This information is somehow not listed.

Joseph L. Beam ---highlighted in yellow on the wall(Beam family tree)---was one of the first incorporators of Heaven Hill. I have the letters of incorporation. There is a picture of my grandfather Joseph L. Beam and my grandfather Harry Beam...It was one of the first pictures taken in the early days of Heaven Hill. It states on the picture Harry and Joe in the early days.

Visitors can taste the single barrel in the very unique barrel tasting room grin.gif You will have the opportunity to taste the EWSB and the Elijah Craig Single Barrel grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.