Article of Interest from the LA Times

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess I'll know I'm really an Arizonan when I stop checking websites of SoCal news sources.

Anyway, click here to take the first step toward seeing the article. You'll have to register with the Times before they'll let you see it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

That's pretty interesting, Dave. What I'm more concerned with now is will I win the laptop,will there be anywhere in Ky I can use the coupons I will receive. lol.gif

that is very interesting. it must be a difficult venture opening up a whiskey distillery, so many factors are involved and you cant even make money till it ages. Those untested bottlings are extremely expensive but im sure some silicon valley whiskey neophytes will splurge for some.

My registration application did not work for some reason and rather than try again I wonder if someone could post a summary of the story. Thanks.

Gary

Gary,

An open violation of copyright in this space is probaby not a good idea.

Perhaps someone (wink, wink... nudge, nudge...) will send it to you privately.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Thanks Dave and (for the legally minded) summarizing an article in one's own words isn't a copyright issue, only direct copying is - the form of expression is protected but not the ideas themselves - a manifestation of the concern in a free society for the free circulation of ideas!

Gary

Gary,

You are correct, of course. Somehow I missed the key word, "summarize", in your post.

Perhaps my oversight is traceable to my misbegotten training in speed-reading. ("Moby Dick? It's a story about a whale, right?" grin.gif)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, based on reading your contributions to this forum I believe you would have made an excellent lawyer!

It's never too late. smile.gif

Gary

Gary,

I'm flattered... I think. wink.gif (Didja ever hear the one about the bi-lingual lawyer? Or the three reasons to use lawyers in place of lab rats? grin.gif)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hey, what's going on here? This thread is listed as a "scorcher" at the Entrance. We have a legal opinion that the contents of the article can be summarized. But we don't know what's going on. Damn.

I just learned that the article is too long to summarize. So ignore what I just wrote. I'm just giving you guys a bad time. I think this is a funny thread.

Greenbob

Who, what, where, when, why? How can we stay on topic if we don't know what it is? confused.gif

Its about a growing boutique whiskey industry in California. A bunch of new distillerys are finally able to offer their young bottlings. They fetch very high prices for bottles so young but i guess its the novelty factor and also they gotta make some money quick on their investment.

on another one of my forums, i was contacted by a whiskey distiller from California saying that he just finished his first batches of whiskey and is ready to sell them in small barrels for a fraction of the cost that you would pay for a finished product down the line. he was charging 150 bucks for each small barrel, i forgot the size, but i discerned that they were small enough to be carried by one person.

The barrels would have to hold 1.75 L or less, since it is illegal to sell spirits in any larger container unless the buyer is licensed.

This whole "movement" is little more than a novelty. I wish them all good luck, but there's not much there there, if you know what I mean.

yeah, im starting to think youre right chuck about the size because at the moment i read it, i was shocked by the high price for such an untested product. it is a novelty thing and i wonder how long these distillerys will be able to keep it up with all of the logistical factors of creating a drink as complex as bourbon.

I hate sites that make you register to read information that is free. If they don't intend to spam you, why do they need your email? I have a way to bypass this. This web site has logins to a lot of these type sites:

Bug me not

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.