Hand Selected Buffalo Trace Comparison

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opportunity is what it is.

On Friday night, Jeff and I had the motive and the opportunity to do a side by side between two single barrel versions of Buffalo Trace.

Both were barreled on 5.1.1996. One was selected by a group of bourbon enthusiasts, some of which are members of this board. The other was selected by Sal Marino of the the Throroughbred shop. We shall call these barrels 4 and 5, since some of us tasted them under those names.

The colors are indistinguishable. Classical burnt orange of Buffalo Trace fame. On the nose, both have a toasted oak and vanilla, with just a hint of clovey spice and that earthiness that makes BT unique. On the palate, again so similar that its scary. Number 4 having a citrus and molasses note, while number 5 has a dark chocolate/cocoa and several degrees more cinammon. Frankly, I find them so similar that its hard to believe they are from different barrels. After several approaches, still the same. Each expressing nuances of their heritage, but never far from the midline. Neither separates itself tremendously from standard BT (Good and Bad) Each subtly different, challenging my abilities to differentiate. We didn't do the ultimate test, a triple blind against std BT. Next time.

More to come. (Vatting???)

BTW: These are both great bourbons and it was worth any price difference to say, "I picked this one".

toast.gif

Interestingly enough, barrel #5 wasn't even our second pick. (#3 was!) I wonder why they went with #5? Was #3 already taken?

Is #5 for sale to to the public?

Gary,

Yes, #5 is available at Thoroughbred Liquors in Lexington. This bottle is distinguished by a foil sticker on the side of the bottle stating that it was bottled exclusively for Sal, the owner.

Like several other barrel pickers, I would like to know where barrel #3 landed.

Bob,

I'll defer to Ed for clarification. I believe he got the #5 info from Sal himself.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.