Need Vodka Recommendation

greenbob
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't drink vodka, and I don't know anything about it. But I want to get a bottle or two for someone as a gift. Does anyone have a recommendation?

The vodka I've had many years ago didn't seem to have much flavor, and so I don't know how one can be a lot better than another. But I'd like to hear what's supposed to be good.

Thank you.

i dont drink much vodka but i hear from everybody that Grey Goose is their favorite brand. Its not too special, if rarity is what you're looking for in a gift, but from people say, it's one of the best.

Although I'm sure you'll get some responses, I think you picked the wrong board for this question! I'm with Cowdery on this one -- the differences are all based on atmospherics, none of which are related to the distillate. The essence of a fine vodka is the absence of distinctiveness! What a concept! I pass.

Oh, as for your question -- pick a purty bottle and box -- the pricier the better! It's all smoke and mirrors anyway!

If it's available, try Shakers. It doesn't seem to be too bad, but more importantly, it is made and bottled right here in Minnesota, so it supports my local economy. That's about as good a reason I can think of to differentiate it from the others that are available.

I would avoid the really cheap stuff, though. They truly aren't all the same. My wife is a white Russian drinker, and I had picked up cheap little 'ol bottle of Smirnoff, but we ended up dumping it, because it smelled like rubbing alcohol! puke.gif

I usually end up buying Stolichnaya for her to use. It's Russian, so it must be good, right? tongue.gif

Buffalo Trace makes Rain vodka, and offers a sample at the end of tours. At least it's made by bourbon folks -- but, well, it's vodka.

Does come in an attractive teardrop- (or, I guess, raindrop-) shaped bottle, though, and doesn't cost as much as Grey Goose.

I say pick up a gift pack bottling that will give them something beyond the bottom of the bottle. This is the time of year when they are in full display. I picked up a Stoli pack last year that the box doubled as a mold to freeze your own ice shot glasses. My idea was to mass produce the glasses and keep a bunch in the freezer as a novelty for serving guests in the summertime. The Stoli is unopened and I never could get the glasses out of the box though.

It's not to my taste...but Jen (fiance) and her co-workers often drink Absolut Vodka which comes in different flavours. Their favourite is Vanilla, closely folowed by Blackcurrant. They usually drink it with lots of crushed ice and lemonade.. skep.gif

Oh, as for your question -- pick a purty bottle and box -- the pricier the better! It's all smoke and mirrors anyway!

That really is the best advice. All of the pricier products will have the flavor characteristic vodka drinkers prize most--none.

It is true that cheaper vodkas have a chemical or solventy taste and aroma while the premium brands are clean. They basically taste like water. I would stay away from a flavored type unless you know the person prefers a certain flavor.

I'm not a big vodka drinker; my experience is limited to some extremely poor choices involving shots during my college years.

My wife, however, is a vodka drinker, and her vodka of choice is Grey Goose. She usually mixes it into a vodka martini or Cosmopolitans, so I talked her into using Stolichnaya, which is a little easier on the wallet. She still keeps Grey Goose in the freezer in case she has her girlfriends over and they feel like doing Lemon Drops or some other vile concoction.

I'm rambling, but that's not unusual for me. Long and short of it, I would recommend Grey Goose as a gift if your budget allows, since it is very well known and highly rated.

I agree...get a bottle of Grey Goose. It's well known, trendy, and appreciated. Even if you really can't taste a difference, they'll love it. I gave some as a gift recently and it was gratefully received.

Go ahead and buy the Grey Goose. I would also give them a bottle of something reasonable priced. I like Monopolowa from Austria. It is around $10 a bottle.

Then, ask them to try the two side by side unmarked. They will not be able to tell difference and you will save them money on future vodka purchases. A true friend indeed.

Okay, thanks everybody for all the help. I got the Grey Goose today. And it looks like from Barrel Proof's and Chuck's point of view I killed two birds with one stone because the Grey Goose packaging is very pretty.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.