Blanton/Elmer Lee

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For those who have both bottles, try mingling the two in the glass. The proportions I used are 2:1 Blanton to Elmer T. Lee but your taste many vary and this is a flexible operation because both products are very good to begin with and of course from the same house. What I got was a complex flavor, with a violet-like taste such as I noticed in some of the recent Woodford Reserve bottlings. Possibly the combining of younger and older whiskies, which characterises Woodford Reserve too, leads to this particular taste which I quite enjoy. I noticed too that this mingling has enough natural sweetness, it doesn't need Manhattan treatment or any treatment other than to be sipped slowly on its own. Blanton and Lee have their own valid profiles but combining them produces another dimension.

Gary

Gary, this is an interesting concept. I am going to have to give it a try. Blanton's is about 7 years old and Elmer T. Lee is at least 10 years old. Since Elmer is involved with selecting both bourbons, he has told me that while Blanton's comes from Warehouse H, he prefers Warehouses C, I, and K. So you have 2 different aged bourbons and 2 different style aging warehouses. Mixing them together sounds fun.

Ken

Hi Ken, really I got great results. I feel the whiskey that dominates should be the younger, with the older giving an accent, hence my 2:1 Blanton's-to-Lee suggestion, but 3:1 may even be better. I have found that changing the proportions can affect the taste quite a bit, also the mouth feel and finish.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.