Comparable to Beam in price but better

dozerslobber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am wondering what others think is better than Beam but comparable in price. I don't personally drink enough to make it worth having anything cheaper than Buffalo Trace. But my dad and mom and their parties require something more affordable, especially for guests who want bourbon old fashions and the like. So in the same price range as Beam what would you choose (including Beam, if you like)?

Well, in my neck of the woods, a 750 of Beam costs $13. There aren't many better bourbons available to me at that price point, but I prefer Evan Williams black label to Beam white. The Evan Williams is $10 / 750ml, so it's cheaper than the Beam.

Other than that, I would have to spend $3-$4 more to get something better (Elijah Craig 12 yr, Old Forester 100 proof, Old Grand Dad bottled-in-bond).

Just to get this thread started out I will reply quickly with a note that anything $13 or cheaper per fifth will fit. I shop in Kentucky so sometimes that makes a difference, but generally I think $13 is about the price of Beam.

There are a number of bourbons that fit your criteria. Perhaps not better but on the same page, Ancient Age Bourbons are usually a buck or 2 cheaper, same with Barton, no one will shed a tear if they are mixed with coke, but they hold up well just the same.

There are a couple of Cat and Dog brands from Heaven Hill that are nice, JTS Brown, Echo Spring,Henry McKenna, JW Dant. There are others, TW Samuels, Old Bardstown, The first 4 I mentioned I have drank and they put a good bourbon in those bottles, I had a bottle of Old Bardstown once that was , I believe, the worst I have ever had.

The absolute winner of the less is more catagory is Ten High. At 6.99 a 750ml It could easily be the cheapest thing on the shelf, before you drop into the blended products. It is actually a very good bourbon, a little thin,like 4 roses 80 proof, unoffensive on all points,and drinkable. It is made by Barton.

Then there's Old Crow, a 3 year Straight Bourbon by Beam, it would be in rotation for me as a mixer workhorse. grin.gif

Another I just thought of was Rebel Yell. Some love it, some hate it, but it's the cheapest wheater you can probably find.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that Old Forrester is not too bad in the $13 and down range. Straight up, on the rocks or in a mixed drink it is a very decent pour.

I posted the other day that I bought some Beam black for $13 and change the other day, but I guess that doesn't count.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.