100 Month old Beam From 1968...HOT DAMN MAN!!!!!

brian12069
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few days ago I hit the jackpot!!!...I was Christmas shopping in a local liquor store and spotted some old Jim Beam Decanters for sale...all were from around 1970. I bought four of them...and get this....THREE WERE STILL SEALED!!!...Well...not anymore!

I just cracked open this one that looks like a green Trolly Car, it reads, "Jim Beam The favorite bourbon in San Francisco" The booze in it says 100 months old.

This stuff is absolutely delicious and I'm not a huge Beam fan. It really doesn't taste much like regular Beam at all. I did a side by side comparison with some regular Jim Beam I had here and this stuff and a much thicker ritcher maple flavor to it. It's 86 proof. I just thought I would share this with everyone here because not too many of my friends are into this stuff....Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Not to diminish the significance of your discovery, I add that what is surprising about your find is that these sealed Beam decanters were in a liquor store. That IS rare. On eBay, by contrast, sealed Beam decanters are available for sale week after week.

Over the years, Beam put bourbons of various ages (some with no age statement at all, others as old as 200 months) and usually at one of two proofs (early on, mostly at 86 proof; later, mostly at 80 proof) into these decanters.

Some were labeled simply "Beam", others as "Beam's" or "Beam's Choice", and a few as "Beam's Trophy" or "Beam's Bicentennial".

Congratulations on your find. Quite a few of us here enjoy sampling these decanter bourbons from days past. Well done! toast.gif

We have a few stores here which stil have pieces of the Jim Beam trains for sale....usually behind the counter or up high on the shelf. Never purchased one. Haven't seen a complete train for a while.....except for the Jeff Koons replica in stainless steel auctioned by Christies this past May. Chuck posted a picture on that post back in May.

Am enjoying some Michter's from a jug decanter this evening. Bottled in 1978.

Randy

...what is surprising about your find is that these sealed Beam decanters were in a liquor store. That IS rare. On eBay, by contrast, sealed Beam decanters are available for sale week after week.

Indeed! I have a 100-month-old Beam/Harry Hoffman decanter I purchased on Ebay, and plan to bring to the Sampler for sampling. Good find.

As part of my Michter's purchase, I obtained a Beam's Choice "J.Lockhart Rainbow Trout" 8 yr 86 proof decanter (sealed) for $10. Also purchased on e-bay a 90 month Bonded Beam bottled in 1948.

This is an example of what you can find on eBay: a decanter of 86 proof 100 month old Beam whiskey, in this instance wrapped up in a Red VW!

post-207-14489811781551_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.