Old Montana Red Eye Bourbon.

Killerwhale
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi,My two sons and my self have over the last couple of year had the great pleasure of drinking "Red Eye" Bourbon from our local "TESCO" store,but sadly they have stopped selling this bourbon.I asked at this store why they have stopped selling this product,they said it was a one off buy and now have stopped.On the bottle is written "RED EYE FRONTIER BOURBON WHISKY" "IMPORTED BY SMOKEY JIM'S BOURBON" "KENTUCKY SUPREME DISTILLING COMPANY.KENTUCKY.USA.A web search has found "Old Montana Red Eye Bourbon" as being a near match. For this amasing bourbon to disappear off the face of the earth is such a shame.There must be somebody who can tell me where to look. I live in the capital of WALES which is in the UNITED KINGDOM.Many thanks and a happy new year to you all banghead.gif <font color="red"> </font>

Well, it sounds like maybe the store (or chain?) purchased a one-time load of bourbon from a distillery and did their own custom bottling with it. Unfortunately, it can be very, very difficult (or impossible) to actually track down where that whiskey came from. My experience with doing this is pretty limited, but there are other, far more experienced folks here that might be able to help you.

The good news is that if we can figure out where it came from, we might be able to suggest similar (or even identical) bourbon bottlings.

Good luck!

Thanx for the info,you have come to the same conclusion that I did.I am hoping,like you suggested,that some one can find it's clone. toast.gif

Unfortunately, the label copy you provided contains no useful information, except perhaps for the fact that the product was, indeed, Kentucky bourbon whiskey. The label doesn't provide any clues for determining the source.

Tesco is a big company, as far as I can tell it is similar to our Wal-Mart. I looked at their web site and while they had a lot of wine, and a little beer, on offer, they had almost nothing there about spirits. You might want to try emailing them for information.

Although the Heaven Hill Distillery is well known for selling bulk whiskey and creating private label brands, the fact is that virtually every distiller sells some bulk whiskey from time to time, so it really could have come from anywhere.

Another way for you to use this forum would be to tell us what products are available in your area and in your price range, and we will tell you which of these we think are the best.

That seems like an odd list, especially considering how long it has been since the Henry Clay and Joseph Finch products have been available. The source of that list, and of that web site itself, is Robert Plotkin. He can be reached at 1.800.421.7179 or by email robert@barmedia.com.

> Unfortunately, the label copy you provided contains no useful information,

> except perhaps for the fact that the product was, indeed, Kentucky bourbon

> whiskey. The label doesn't provide any clues for determining the source.

That sounds like a challenge to me!

from uspto.gov:

Word Mark OLD MONTANA RED EYE SPIRIT OF THE WILD TRADITIONAL MONTANA STYLE KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURON WHISKEY

Goods and Services IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: alcoholic beverages, namely, whiskey. FIRST USE: 19780727. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19780727

Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS

Design Search Code 180103 200310 260307 260902 260921

Serial Number 75262009

Filing Date March 24, 1997

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Published for Opposition July 21, 1998

Registration Number 2194921

Registration Date October 13, 1998

Owner (REGISTRANT) MONTANA DISTILLERS, INC. CORPORATION MONTANA 740 FRONT ST. HELENA MONTANA 59601

Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "TRADITIONAL MONTANA STYLE KENTUCKY STRAIGHT BOURBON WHISKEY" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

...and a googling of "montana distillers inc" turns up address

and phone number information for distributors and for the "distillery"

itself, and vague clues that they're distributed in Iowa.

It looks like this is probably their address:

MONTANA DISTILLERS INC

740 FRONT ST

HELENA, MT, 59601

(406)449-3429

Another article at http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2004/08/16/daily3.html

mentions that Montana Distillers Inc sold a few of its (Idaho and

Montana only) brands to Hood River Distillers in Summer 2004,

although Montana Red Eye isn't specifically mentioned.

Tim Dellinger

Thankyou for your reply.Yes it is a 6 yr old.also I have found that the importer to the UK is "SMOKEY JIM'S BOURBON" and I have yet to make contact with them. The address on the bottle is in SCOTLAND UK,and now no longer exist's.I am hoping that somebody in the USA,will recognise the name of the bourbon or similar and tell me.bye 4 now toast.gif

Hi thanks for the reply,A web search took me to that site also,I found at the time that their e:mail address did not work.. toast.gif

Hi thanks for the reply.This bourbon is worth searching for.You have given me plenty of channel's to check.many thanks toast.gif

By "useful" I meant information that gets us closer to the source of the whiskey itself.

All this establishes is that there is a marketer in Helena, who may be a bottler and rectifier, who is almost certainly not a distiller, but who may merely be a distributor. It is interesting to know that there is an entity behind this product and it's not just a name created by the store, but that's all we now know.

It is in the nature of the American whiskey industry that it is highly unlikely there is some fabulous whiskey out there that nobody knows about. More likely it's another bottling of Heaven Hill bulk whiskey.

Robert Lemm

Montana Distillers, Inc.

740 Front Street

P. O. Box 174

Helena, MT 59601

Phone: 406-449-3429

Fax: 406-449-2230

I have some information, based on more than the usual presumption, that this is Heaven Hill whiskey. If you tell us the age and proof, we can suggest a substitute.

• 3 months later...

Hi.I have now given up all hope of finding OLD MONTANA RED EYE.In my neck of the woods it has gone for ever.In my quest I have found 'WOODFORD RESERVE' By 'LABROT & GRAHAM'.All thought the 'RED EYE' flavour is a distant memory.This bourbon takes some beating....Is anyone over there drinking this woohoo.gif

Using the Search function I found this thread in the Tasting forum. I'm sure there are dozens of other mentions there and in other forums.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Hi Dave,Thanks for the 'links.'Here in South Wales U.K.There is not alot of choice in the 'Bourbon' selection in our local store.Scotish malts seem to take center stage.Do you know of an other 6yr old bourbon that tastes as good as the 'RED EYE'I wish I had bought more bottles when I had the chance. toast.gif

Hi Chuck.thanks for the reply.The age is 6yrs,the proof is 90% /45% volume toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.