Bonded bourbons

BobA
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Isn't a "metal bottle" just a bottle-shaped can? I suppose it has a bottle-style closure but otherwise, so what?

Now a clear or translucent metal bottle, that would be something.

Ah, but if consumers accept the bottle-can in replacement of the glass bottle - sipping Corona from a metal bottle, for example, why not introduce it for bourbon and other spirits? If it costs less to package beer and whiskey in metal and people accept metal bottles (especially in bars and heretofore glass-dominated contexts), what bodes for glass and whiskey..? The first cans in the 1930's looked (somewhat) like bottles (the famous cone-tops). That type of can did not last; this time it may be different.

I should add: the bottle in question is resealable. The beer is Iron City by the way (Pittsburgh Brewing), and Allcoa makes the bottle - kind of a neat symmetry (more or less) in the brand name and image and new packaging.

Gary

My point in observing that a metal bottle is just a bottle-shaped can is that what IC has introduced is a novelty and not a sea change. The prices of metal and glass beverage containers are already comparable, especially when you make the metal container resealable, a necessity for spirits products. In the case of whiskey, if not other spirits, the ability to see the product will continue to give glass an edge. I believe the only inherent advantage of metal is weight.

And lack of breakability. Just the other day I was buying bourbon at the LCBO and behind me someone sent a bottle of Scotch flying. smile.gif

A novelty, probably, yes, but sometimes these things take off.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.