Pappy 15 vs. Pappy 20?

wrbriggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So... I received a bottle of Pappy 20 for Christmas this year. Looks like it's one of the older bottlings, based on information I received from Julian.

I just received a bottle of ORVW 15 yr old (well, that's what I ordered... it showed up as Pappy 15 instead - not sure why they still list it as ORVW 15). The color, nose and flavor is very different from my Pappy 20. Is this due to the difference in age, or the difference in the source of the whiskey? Or both?

I almost think I prefer the 15, but every time I think that I pour myself a tiny bit of the 20, and then I'm confused again...

William, the 15 & 20 are the same distillation. Just 5 years apart but very different bourbons.

Where did you get the ORVW 15 from? I'll let them know it is listed incorrectly on their site.

Julian

I got the Pappy 15 from internetwines.com. They still have it listed as Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 yr old.

Thanks for the response, and these are both very, very fine bourbons! I think I'm drawn to the 15 in part due to the higher proof, but then I have the 20 and the smoothness just lulls me. I hope these are available for many years to come, so that I have time to make enough money to make them my regular pour. Right now I am drinking both of them rather sparingly.

ah yes, Randalls does it again. I'm starting to be very disappointed in them. They have the best selection in the area and yet they seem to thumb their nose at serious bourbon drinkers with their overpricing and these types of shenanigans. Has anyone noticed what they are pricing their 04 Stagg for? Three times the normal price everywhere else. Now that I'm going to Bardstown at least twice a year they won't be getting a nickel more from me no matter if I have to wait for months for a new product not available on the Missouri side of the river.

Heh, well... when one lives in a liquor control state, finding many of these items becomes difficult or impossible. Finding a place that will ship to me is even nicer, so I may take more advantage of them in the future, as long as the price isn't exorbitant (i.e., Stagg).

The ORVW 15 seems to be gone from the shelves here - replaced by the Pappy's. Though the tastes are very similar, I had hoped to grab up a few of the remaining bottles before they disappeared.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

There was a nice article about the Pappy 15 in the Lousiville Courier Jounral Magazine a couple of weekends ago. I am sure you saw it. The article featured an attractive photo of the new bottle accompianied by a Riedel Bourbon glass. I am looking forward to picking up a bottle and comparing it side by side with the ORVW 15 yo. Various folks on this page have expressed opinions as to whether there are any differences. You would obviously know better than any one though. Was the intent of putting out Pappy 15 to replace ORVW 15yo or to add a new product to the VanWinkle line?

As we just finished our bottle of VW 20yo that we bought for the holidays, I can hardly wait till the holidays come again......A very nice pour indeed.... We are now on the ORVW 15yo. We are very much Van Winkle fans here, enjoying them all from the Weller collections right thru to all of the Van Winkles. They all have their own very distinctive tastes, which keeps us going back for more.... toast.gif

Randall's is having a 25% off sale across the board for the next couple of days. This brings some of their prices down to normal, and actually makes for a couple of bargains (e.g., Rowans Creek $22). You could also get some Johnny Drum (I have never tried it before and they are the only game in town for it.) For the most part I agree with you, even at 25% off their prices are on the high side.

Thanks for putting the link on there. Nice article. I think the reporter over shot the price a little though. It seems that the Courier has been doing bourbon related articles with some frequency lately. I don't subscribe but my mother in law clips a lot of them for me. Did you see the piece they did on the new Bourbon Heritage Center at Heaven Hill? It seems like a neat place. I look forward to going.

I don't believe that I've seen an answer to your question yet regarding the ORVW 15 & the Pappy 15, so here you go...the Pappy 15 is indeed <u>replacing</u> the 15 year old ORVW.

The new Van Winkle 15 is the same as the old Van Winkle 15, with the exception of the package. We just thought that since the 15 year old is one of the finest bourbons available, and the squat bottle is one of the ugliest, we needed to put it in a bottle that better reflected what was inside. The bottle is the same as the 20 and 23, while the label has been updated to more closely resemble them as well.

We have tried to update many of our packages at Buffalo Trace. The new Weller bottle is currently at the glass manufacturer. The Rock Hill and Hancock packages have been updated (although very slightly) to make them more attractive. The current Old Charter package is not going to win any awards, so we are looking to spruce up the label so that consumers will see it, stop, and possibly consider purchasing it.

While packaging certainly helps with the initial purchase, we know full well that you can only fool people once. It is the quality of what is inside that brings them back.

Ken

While packaging certainly helps with the initial purchase, we know full well that you can only fool people once. It is the quality of what is inside that brings them back.

Ken

Well, you guys are certainly no slouches in the quality department either... lol.gif

I almost never buy bourbon based on the packaging, simply because there is so little of it on the shelves up here. I typically special order first, and then see the packaging second.

I will say that I greatly enjoy the Buffalo Trace bottle and labels. I just got my first 2 bottles yesterday from my "NH connection", and while I haven't cracked one open yet, I'm greatly looking forward to it.

And the Pappy 15 is delicious, by the way. yum.gif

I may have a Stagg '02/ Pappy 15 / Pappy 20 shootout if I can bring myself to pour all three in a single evening.

Who am I kidding, I don't think I could bring myself to do that.

The Weller 12 bottle will be more pot stillish, though a bit sleeker. The label treatment is totally different than what we currently have. I will post a picture when the unit samples arrive in late February, early March. By the way, I just received a new unit sample bottle today for a new brand we will be introducing. As soon as it is approved and actual production begins I will be able to let you know more about it.

Ken

Thanks for responding to my question. I totally agree that the new bottle for the Pappy 15 is a much better fit for the quality of bourbon inside. Plus, placing the new Pappy 15 bottle next to the 20 and 23 makes for a nice display.

I look forward to seeing the new Weller bottle when it comes out and picking one up.

. . .and the squat bottle is one of the ugliest . . .Ken

Funny, I always liked that bottle (though it should have a cork top). When I open the bunker and see those ORVW 15s and ORVW OTR 12s, I can't help but smile. Am I the only one who isn't fully on board with the trend of packaging bourbon in wine bottles?

Am I the only one who isn't fully on board with the trend of packaging bourbon in wine bottles?

No. Click here .

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I like the old "barrel bottle" because it has a long heritage at SW and I have such grand fondness for that company and its products. I like the ORVW labels for the same reason, they have a nostalgic feel. There have, however, always been people who hated those squat bottles and the modern consumer generally doesn't respond to nostalgia. Look at the bottles in the vodka and tequila sections if you want to see what people are buying. The makers of higher end American whiskies are just following the lead of scotch and imported brandy producers. I can't say that I blame them.

. . .and the squat bottle is one of the ugliest . . .Ken

Funny, I always liked that bottle (though it should have a cork top). When I open the bunker and see those ORVW 15s and ORVW OTR 12s, I can't help but smile. Am I the only one who isn't fully on board with the trend of packaging bourbon in wine bottles?

I'm with ya. One of the things I like about the Weller line is the squat bottles.

toast.gif

Look at the bottles in the vodka and tequila sections if you want to see what people are buying.

And you'll notice in those sections (particularly vodka) the bottles are tall & slender so there won't be room for them on the lower shelves. Simple & brilliant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.