Free vs control states

voigtman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In Oregon, one can special order just about any whisky from any supplier in the U.S., or abroad -- provided they order an entire case. That's the catch, and a big catch. It's illegal for a customer to have liquor mailed to them from out of state, and it's illegal to cross into Oregon with more than 4 litres in one's possession.

I just wonder, however, if some liquor retailers outside of Oregon (or other "control states," for that matter) do some mail-order business within those states. In other words, do they sometimes ship small parcells of liquor into those "control states," turning a blind eye to the laws of that state, or feigning ignorance. And of course the shipping carrier (UPS, FedEx, or whathaveyou) must also be either ignorant or pretend to be. Does this happen?

In PA we have internet sales. The PLCB has their own internet warehouse in Harrisburg. The customer orders and pays online and the order is sent to the store of their choice overnight by UPS. In 31 working in the PLCB years I've never known of an outside retailer sending anything to anyone.

• 3 months later...

I am cruising some old posting and stumbled upon this.

Michigan is now the worst combination of control and free. The state is the wholesaler controling availability, and sets a minimum price but now allows retailers to charge a premium if they want. Currently many retailers are changing more that the state price (which is available in the net) for mid and upper shelf bourbons. Also it is illegal to ship liquor to a Michigan address, therefore you cannot legally buy liquor over the internet.

...it is illegal to ship liquor to a Michigan address, therefore you cannot legally buy liquor over the internet...

Some potential good news is that Michigan was one of the defendants in the recent Supreme Court case which many observers feel is likely to reverse state rulings regarding the differentiation between allowing in-state and out-of-state wine shipments (Michigan allows in-state wineries to ship to Michiganders, but not out-of-state ones). The stated basis for disallowing wine shipments -- underage recipients -- is the same for liquor, which may also be affected by any restriction-loosing ruling.

Such a SCOTUS ruling would be a mixed bag for me. Here in Tennessee, where NO wine/liquor shipment is allowed by anybody already, we probably wouldn't be affected because no discrimination occurs between in-state and out-of-state. However, I used to win online wine auctions occasionally and have the bottles shipped to my sister in Michigan before that state's restrictive law was passed, so maybe in the future I'll be able to renew that practice.

Well, I just went to the web site and based on that I would say that there is a pretty good selection in PA! shocked.gif Some of the prices are much lower than I can get in Japan for the things I can get. Plenty of things I would take six of, too.

Ed

Ps, Do you ship to Japan? Just kidding, unless you do ship to Japan...

Ps, Do you ship to Japan? Just kidding, unless you do ship to Japan...

Ed, I know out of state people have ordered from the PA internet site. Try ordering something and see if you are successful.

Nothing can be shipped to someones house in PA, but I'm not sure about shipping outside of PA. I will look into this for you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.