It's 17 degrees and dropping...

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What's your favorite bourbon on a cold winter night?

A few good "warming" bourbons that come to mind:

WT Kentucky Spirit

ORVW 10yo 107

Stagg (any)

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

Old Grand Dad 114

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Eagle Rare 101

Booker's

Tonight where it is very cold in Toronto, I passed by a hostelry I frequent only occasionally. They had Rowan's Creek. On inspecting the bottle I realised this is my favorite bottling, the one that has a sticker on the back that refers to distillation in 1988, it is (as far as I know) the bottling that issued about 5 years ago. I thought all this stock was exhausted but evidently some is still around in the bars at $8.99 (CAN) plus 15% sales tax per shot, steep but worth it. This whiskey is about the best bourbon I know: fruity, deep, soft, with char and wood flavour all in perfect balance. Probably the owner laid in 5 bottles 5 years ago and this is the last of it. The perfect antidote to the icy blustery weather outside. And I don't usually drink 101 proof straight, but tonight that was the way to go. smile.gif

Gary

I had a Rowan's Creek mini (from a Boutique Small Batch 4-pack set) the other night -- I didn't get out the magnifying glass to check the bottling particulars -- and it reminded me much of a certain barrel-proof favorite (which I dilute to around 90-95 proof) of many of us here. I was pleasantly surprised, and will try it again.

Otherwise, that certain barrel-proof favorite would do nicely tonight -- 20-ish in mid-Tennessee -- as does my Stitzel-Weller-distilled Weller Special Reserve. I paused and pondered, too, over Old Heaven Hill 10yo BIB and (current favorite bottle open) 1997 Wathen's.

WT Kentucky Spirit

One of my favorite bourbons ever, but particularly on cold, snowy Sunday afternoons.

ORVW 10yo 107

One of Tina's favorites anytime!

Eagle Rare 101

It's ten degrees, and I'm having it right now!

Great choices, guys. Very warming bourbons, indeed. I would add ER 17, too. Perfect for a 17 degree evening, I suppose!

It's down to 4 degrees here on the prairie... wind chill of eight below.

I'm sippin' "the Reserves":

Boil water in a glass; pour out most of the water. Now add two

glugs of Jefferson's Reserve, a splash of Woodford Reserve, and

a dribble of Old Rip Family Reserve Rye.

It warms you up, and it's got layers of flavor just don't stop.

Tim Dellinger

Up here in the great semi-white North, the car thermometer (usually accurate) reported -25 F as I approached home this evening. Its funny, because in town, just seven miles to the South, it registered only -10 F. This morning, it reported -33 F as I left for work.

This cold snap has apparently been the longest in years. It's been lows of at least -20 since early Friday morning.

Anyway, I've just finished enjoying a splendid sampling of the 2004 Stagg, served neat and sipped slowly.

The heat wave begins tomorrow. Temperatures are expected to reach the +20s!

It's cold here in San Francisco tonight too...49 degrees with a wind chill of, well, 49. It basically never gets below freezing here in the winter...but then again it's usually cold and foggy in the summer when I find myself missing those hot summer nights. Anwyway, to stave off the depths of the California winter, I'm drinking the last of a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve. This is a pretty good bourbon, but not worth the $50 or so I paid for it.

-25 with the wind chill here, so we started with a sip of VW20yo to get the taste buds started, then to warm things up a little, out came the ORVW 15yo (a lot of wood and 107 proof)and what a nice choice, and to really warm things up, out came the Bookers......Now we're warm up here......

Tomorrow is gonna warm up (around 8 degrees without the windchill).We'll have to start all over again... toast.gif

Downstate NY: 12 degrees, with a cold wind blowing. I don't even know what the temp is factoring in that wind. I know its damn cold though!

There´s been a lot of talk of climate changes and its possible causes. I´m no expert but something is clearly not normal in these parts of the world. In January we usually have lots of snow and very cold indeed. Temperatures around

-4 (-20 in Celsius) are not uncommon.

At the moment, though, we have +37 (+3 Celsius) and rain! frown.gif

Anyway, almost any Wild Turkey bottling will do when it´s freezing cold.

-31F with the wind chill here (it's a toasty -8F without the windchill). The cheap bastards I work for don't pay to heat this place worth a damn, so I'm counting the seconds until I can get home and have a large pour of OGD 114 to warm myself up.

Today, it's 58 degrees in Seattle. At Crystal Mtn ski resort on Mt. Rainier the base the temp at summit is 40 degrees and could spell the end of ski season, which never really got under way.

Gotta love "global warming".

15 here, nice pour of BT in front of the fire. supposed to warm up to the 30's later in the week. WooHoo!!

Time to pick out a nice cigar.

grin.gif

Mike

2 sizable pours of OGD 114 and a nice meal in my belly, and I am much happier. I think I'll go to sleep a happy man tonight.

What's your favorite bourbon on a cold winter night?

If I didn't have to be "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" tomorrow I'd probably resample some Elmer T. Lee. I remember thinking how the spicy zing might go better on a blustery day.

And finally it's above freezing here in the Gateway City and since this is my equivalent of friday, I plan to sample some OFBB Spring 03 when I get home around 8am. Hopefully it will be an invitation for some spring like weather to break the freeze a bit. With my long weekend ahead of me I may even begin planning for my bigger better family room bar. I may even finish this one and I sure learned how NOT to build the last one. banghead.gif

I won't say it's specifically because of the weather, but I've been enjoying Old Fitz BIB all week and have generally been into my wheaters lately, digressing into some Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old BIB, which is a pretty nice (cheap) whiskey, if you can find it.

Heatwave today, at 30, up from the sub-teens of the last few days.

I find Bulleit very suitable as a stimulant at this time of year. It has a spearmint-like background which is interesting and adds complexity. I have been mingling it 50/50 with ORVW 10 year old. The latter like most wheaters gains extra "middle" from a rye-recipe bourbon such as Bulleit. The Bulleit gains frame and depth (age) from the Van Winkle. I could see doing this with the Old Fitzgerald BIB and, say, Heaven Hill's BIB. Win/win proposition.

Gary

It's warming up to a toasty 20 degrees here in PA so I think I'll go home and sip on something simple like AAA. Of course this weekend when she dips down to the single digits, it's time to break out the hearty stuff. Like maybe one of those bottles of George T Stagg I've been hoarding. When I was young, our reason for drinking whiskey was "Burns on the way down and keeps you warm all night". Maybe not necessarily true anymore but it seems to fit the bill on these frigid evenings.

i have no idea what you guys are talking about. it never really gets below 50 here, once in a while, itll dip into the 40s, where even jack daniels could get the job done. falling.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.