" Bourbon Hunting"

troyce
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been into bourbon for about 1 yr now and still trying to taste and learn about as many as possible and settle in on my favorites. As I travel over most of the SE ,I've taken up the sport of hunting down those rare or discontinued bourbons(within reason), mostly based on information gained from this site. Many of what I find I would like to use for trade at future Ky.Bourbon samplers or festivals. Thus far I have found several bottles of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection(recent issues only), Wathens, Wild Turkey 12 yr old(2 issues), Ezra Brooks 15 yr old, IW Harper and a few older versions of Evan Wms. SB, 1992 and 1993. Are any of these more "tradeable " than others and any reccommendations on others to look for. toast.gif

The Ezra Brooks 15yo and the WT 12yo will trade easily, as neither is still in production and both are outstanding products. Any Stagg is likely to be tradable, as well as maybe a Hirsch 20 or an early Birthday Bourbon.

Hope to see you at the Festival! toast.gif

Other rarities that would be in high demand would be Henry Clay and Joseph Finch from the old United Distilleries, old bottlings that still have the tax stamp and have been collecting dust, and I personally am looking for a couple of the earlier EWSB vintages like 1990 and 1992 but many would like the earlier 80's vintages I'm sure. As for myself, I have been bringing a couple of extra bottles of David Nicholson 1843 that a local bottler David Sherman here in St Louis puts out. It's not a pricey bottling but it's not found in many areas and makes a nice planter for your petunias. smilielol.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Buffalo Trace Antique Collection." Do you mean the Stagg, Eagle Rare 17, and Sazerac? With the exception of a few control states and other geographical oddities, the Eagle Rare and the Sazerac are pretty easy to come by and anyone who is physically in Kentucky, at the Fest or Sampler, will be able to go to a store and buy them.

Stagg in any vintage is always in demand. Everything you mentioned is pretty desirable. I, for example, might be more interested in the Harper, EWSB and EB 15 while I know others would be more interested in the Wathens and Turkey.

So, excluding the Eagle Rare and the Sazerac, Stagg is in a class by itself, but everything you mentioned is pretty desirable.

Happy hunting!

Certainly early (say, pre-2000) Wathen's is desireable, and I never pass up a Wild Turkey 12yo myself -- but, for Heaven's sake, unless you found duplicates of these items, drink them yourself. All of them are unavailable in at least parts of the country, and any of them would broaden your palate. But, if you don't want them, well -- bring 'em on!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.