Ideal Storage

jebert
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello,

I recently bought a few bottles of good bourbon to last a couple years, and I was wondering about general principles of storage. My plan was to store them at room temperature (in a slightly dry climate), out of direct sunlight, with the bottles resting horizontally (by analogy to wine bottles, as both are corked). Does this sound OK? Unnecessary?

Thanks!

Most of the bourbonati feel that storing bottles upright is preferable. The reason being that high-alcohol liquids such as whiskey will eventually eat through the corks.

Otherwise, it sounds like a good plan.

I agree. I think upright in a dark, cool spot is the way to go. Welcome to Straightbourbon.com! toast.gif

Just to weigh in with what others have said. Wine-style storage will eat through your corks. Store the bottles standing upright, and just check the corks from time to time to ensure they aren't drying out too badly.

with the bottles resting horizontally (by analogy to wine bottles, as both are corked)

We get this question, with that particular assumption, every so often. I always gasp. Thank goodness you came to us. Absolutely do not store whiskey bottles "sideways" (as per the film title), regardless of the closure, but especially if they are corked. If they have been that way now for a few days or even weeks I'm sure no harm was done, but after months and years you could find your treasures ruined.

The saddest thing is, this is about the only mistake you can make in storing whiskey. It actually keeps extremely well virtually forever.

As for the drying out of corks, I do what Bobby Cox advised me to: Every couple of months I pick up the bottles and tip them until the bourbon touches the corks. That should keep them from drying out and yet not subject the cork to too much alcohol deterioration.

The saddest thing is, this is about the only mistake you can make in storing whiskey. It actually keeps extremely well virtually forever.

Despite your signature to the contrary? lol.gif

I do enjoy that joke, though. Gave me a good chuckle first time I read it.

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I have wondered about the proper way to store bourbon and its general shelf life many times. The replies on this page have provided clear answers to these questions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.