Transistion from Tequila to Bourbon

roughouse
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For most of my adult life I have been a tequila drinker. However, last October I was at a freinds house and all he had was Jack Daniels. Since it had been years since I tasted JD I thought I would give it a try. To my surprise I enjoyed the taste. Over the next few weeks I found myself ordering JD every time I went out. I was still liking it, so I thought I would buy my first bottle of "bourbon". So the day before New Years Eve I went to the liquor store and was on my way to the register with a bottle of JD. However, a bottle of Knob Creek caught my eye. I asked the clerk his thougths on both and before I could finish the question he was pointing to KC. So I bought it. I absolutly enjoyed every drop. It was during my first bottle of KC that I joined this board. I finished the bottle in 10 days. I then bought a bottle of ER 10yr 90 proof. No as good as KC, but I finished it in 12 days. Back to KC and that lasted all of 11 days. I think I like the punch of the stronger proof. Since then I have become somewhat charmed by bourbon. I have done a great deal of reading on the subject. I think I'm on to something. Any suggestions on where to go from here? Thanks for letting me share my first steps.

First things first: You do now realize, if you didn't before, that Jack Daniel's is NOT BOURBON, right?stickpoke.gif

Seriously, you've come to both the right drink and the right place. There are so many good pours out there that the few you don't especially care for just don't matter, and you'll find a new 'favorite' every other bottle or so. toast.gif And the folks here are as welcoming and knowledgeable as you can find anywhere in cyberspace about their chosen subject.bowdown.gif

Enjoy!

as we try new bourbons all the time and turn people onto bourbon as well, you can't go wrong with any of the VanWinkle lines.......anything like a VW 12yo special reserve or any of the Weller brands like Centennial or one of my favorites Rip VW 15yo 107 proof. Most new bourbon drinkers enjoy these..... ENJOY toast.gif

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

I was discussing this very thing today. My recommendation would be to try a bottle from each distillery and then work my way up or down thru their products from there.

You already had Knob Creek a great choice from Jim Beam, I would have said it or Beam Black label.

From Heaven Hill, I would go with Elijah Craig 12 year, Evan Williams 7 year or the Single Barrel EW.

From Wild Turkey, Plain 101 proof or Russells Reserve.

From Buffalo Trace, Ancient Age 100 proof or Buffalo Trace.

From Brown Forman, Old Forester

Barton, 100 proof BIB

80 Proof 4 Roses

For the person who says they started with Makers, I would recommend taking the journey thru the wheat with Weller,Rebel Yell, Old Fitz,and VanWinkle

Hope that helps, Welcome aboard

toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.