Recommendations for newbie who likes Booker's

Kdross
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I purchased my first bottle of Bourbon last month. The local wholesale store (BJ's) was selling Booker's for $40 a bottle. When I got home I opened the bottle and fell in love with Booker's. I love the big strong taste of Booker's. I have since purchased a bottle of Maker's Mark, and while Makers is good, it was too soft and mellow for me. What other Bourbons should I try knowing that I really enjoy Booker's.

Ken

If you can find it, George T Stagg is a must. Old Grand Dad 114 is more common in the high proof offerings and is good in its own fashion. Weller Antique 107 will give you some variety as it's a wheater and Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a 108 proof nectar. And then there's my favorites, the 107 proof Van Winkles in 10 and 15 yr expressions which are also wheaters. Booker's is where I started and I'm still trying new bourbons whenever I can find them so welcome to your new addiction. smilielol.gif

Where can I purchase a bottle of George T Stagg and what is the going rate? Ken

There are a whole lotta bourbonites wondering about the first part of that question. It's pretty highly allocated -- only 4,152 bottles in 2004 -- with limited amounts going a lot of different directions. Your best bet currently is to try and trade with another member here, or put a bug in the ear of your liquor store manager about the recently announced spring bottling coming up in the next few weeks. Maybe if s/he can get an order in before knowledge spreads outside insider circles, you can order some. Any price under, say, $55, would be acceptable. Many pay more.

I agree with all recommendations cast your way. Especially Rare Breed. Also might want to try Baker's 107 proof. Full of flavor and body. I enjoyed tasting Booker's and Baker's side by side.

I second the recommendations made so far.

I would add that for a change of pace - say under 100 proof, Eagle Rare Single Barrel is a great choice.

I would also try WT Rye.

toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.