Monte Christo #2 in Cigar Afficianodo's TOP 25

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got Feb 2005 issue of Cigar Aficionado. It appears the much loved Gazebo favorite (and substitute Brisket plug) MC #2 made the list. For the first time in recorded history, the experts agreed with us.

I still have one left.

Its a must for the sampler

toast.gif

I wouldn't say for the first time in recorded history. I have been getting CA since 1994 and I know that the Monte #2 has been in there at least 20 times, with probably half of those over 90 ratings.

The Monte #2 was also part of what I call the "Fabulous Five", which were the most respected, sought after and well-known smokes in the world. The full five consist of Cohiba Esplendido, Monte #2, Partagas Lusitania, Romeo y Julieta Churchill and Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona.

Up until the wrapper crop issues in 97/98 these cigars were untouchable. They represented some of the best Cuba had to offer and were considered "standards". However, with the wrapper crop's failure, like all other brands and vitola, these vitolas became less than what they were. I still don't think that the HdM DC have recovered. I have really enjoyed post-2000 Monte #2's though.

The 2000/2001 started getting better. The 2002/2003 regained some of the power and strength. There has been some argument on the 2004/2005 production, but I like what I have smoked so far. I think that slowly and surely Habanos SA is trying to recreate the old school taste in their brands. We shall see. smile.gif

As usual, Just my .02

I knew I heard they were good somewhere.

I bet that's where it was.

Would reading it for 20 years be considered subliminal suggestion?

I guess not.

Well, anyway, they were one fine smoke.

Ed

I had another one of these a few nights back, or whenever the last warm day was. The MC #2 ranks as my favorite to date, beating out my still loved Punch Punch. The construction is flawless, the burn is even and the balance of flavors if perfect. I think I have 3 of these left. One for the Sampler, one for the Festival and one for any occassion deemed worthy! yum.gifbandit.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.