Temequila? (100% Agave Liquor - Made in USA)

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did someone already post about this ? I know someone brought it to my attention recently.

Personally, I just wouldn't have the stones to risk an encounter with the Mexican tequila interests, but I wish this entrepreneur from my old home town good luck.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I brought it up one evening in the chat room, Dave. I suspect Mr. Wagoner ain't gonna win this one, and should he? How would we feel if some Canadian distiller started calling his rye concoction bourbon?

Tim,

Thanks for the memory jogger.

Regarding your question, my answer is likely different than that of someone in the industry. If the Canadian producer produced a product that satisfied the definition in U.S. law, none of which is geographically specific AFAIK, I'd say he's entitled to call it "bourbon", just not "Kentucky bourbon".

If I were king, I might even go a step further and insist it be labled "Canadian bourbon" or even "Candadian bourbon, eh?" grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

If the Canadian producer produced a product that satisfied the definition in U.S. law, none of which is geographically specific AFAIK, I'd say he's entitled to call it "bourbon", just not "Kentucky bourbon".

But that, Dave, is kinda my point -- a Canadian distiller cannot "produce...a product that satisfied the definition in U.S. law", because by both U.S. federal law and international trade agreement, bourbon can only be made in the U.S. (though not necessarily KY). The same is true regarding Mexico and tequila, and the U.S. is party to that trade designation.

(l) Class 12; products without geographical designations but distinctive of a

particular place.

(1) The whiskies of the types specified in paragraphs (B) (1), (4), (5), and (6) of

this section are distinctive products of the United States and if produced in a

foreign country shall be designated by the applicable designation prescribed in

such paragraphs, together with the words "American type" or the words

"produced (distilled, blended) in __", the blank to be filled in with the name of the

foreign country: Provided, That the word "bourbon" shall not be used to describe

any whisky or whisky-based distilled spirits not produced in the United States.

The United States can control by fiat the labeling of any foreign-made products that want to be sold in the United States. The agreements with Canada, Mexico and the European Union additionally specify that each signatory will protect the other's proprietary names in their respective jurisdictions. In other words, we don't need an agreement to prevent a theoretical Canadian-made "bourbon" from being sold here, but to prevent it from being sold there.

The interesting question here is whether this name is in violation. He isn't calling it "tequila," but is "Temequila" too close? Like is "Ridgewood" too close to "Woodford"?

Provided, That the word "bourbon" shall not be used to describe

any whisky or whisky-based distilled spirits not produced in the United States.

Jim, et al,

Well hush my mouth. I had no idea.

Is it too late to go back and delete my dumb post?

I suppose so.

Okay, how's this? They make it in Canada according to U.S. regs and market it as "Bourbanuck, The American-style Corn Whiskey Made by Canucks". spin_icon.gifcrazy.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can now verify that JB Wagoner's is in stock at Hi Time in Costa Mesa.

If I hadn't already had a cartload of Russell's Reserve, I might have sprung for it. IIRC, the price was $52, $6 less than the suggested retail price -- but I didn't give it a long look.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.