Bardstown 3/29/05 [was: Wbaydn part deux]

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I sipped on a number of things today(3/29/05)

I guess I should mention a little get together at BettyeJo's, woohoo.gif with a noteworthy group of SBer's,

Jeff,

Ed and Patty,

Cliff and Family,

Jim Butler and Family,

AmeliaC,

BettyeJo and Family,

and the Mayor of New Haven, Ky.....

With company like that even Ten High would have been good, but it was not to be. This is one of those "How can it get any better days" but here goes...I guess the standouts were a Barrel Proof ( it was 140 or 141 proof)15 year Rye from Heaven Hill, Thank you Larry Kass. The Heaven Hill Bourbon Hertitage Center provides a nice setting for such a thing, particularly with the place closed and emptied of everyone except this group and a few employees. wink.gif

After dinner in Bardstown, a little time at the gazebo( someone has to be certain that it is roadworthy before the Sampler), We are treated to a fine "Very Olde St. Nick Rare Bourbon Whiskey" at 116.4 Barrel-Proof and 20 Years Old, compliments of Drew Kulsveen. Many Thanks indeed. We enjoyed very much an opportunity to meet and talk with Drew and learn more of his families' bourbons. toast.gif

Happily the Gazebo passed this road test, it will sustain us in a month or so. lol.gif

Thanks BettyeJo,Therese and Erica woohoo.gif

We all had a real good time.

Yes, thanks to Bettye Jo and her family for again being so hospitable toast.gif

I had a great time seeing everyone again and meeting Jim's and Cliff's families. The bourbon was good as always, I especially liked the Evan William's 12yo that was left over from the Festival. Larry Kass was kind enough to offer up a treat with a 15yo rye whiskey. It was quite good. Again the HH Visitor's center is not to be missed on any trip to Bardstown.

Sorry I had to leave so soon after dinner, but I wasn't on vacation and had to be up early this morning.

It was a great "Sampler Sampler" lol.gif

a little get together at BettyeJo's

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Well I tell you what if that was a little get together then I'm not ready for a big one.. First we were treated to some fine bourbon that had never been opened. The food was outstanding.Ribeye steaks, chicken cooked to perfection out on the grill. Salad, baked beans, big baking potatoes hot out of the oven, macaroni and cheese with extra cheese, deviled eggs, all the chips, dips, and pickles you could eat...Then we had chocolate cup cakes for desert. The weather was great and being out side with a great view from Bettye Jo's deck made it even more special to have our friends there with us.... Thank you so much my friend. YOU,are the best... I had a great day. bowdown.gif

Bobby and Cliff grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Kicking back right after lunch grin.gif

I only have three pictures. I was having such a good time, got distracted, put the camera down and forgot all about it grin.gif

post-20-14489811801998_thumb.jpg

Mr. Ed, Jeff and Cliff...doing a bit of "tasting"...I had a few "unique" bottlings to share with everyone...On the deck (thur window) is Patty grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811802391_thumb.jpg

That looks like a japanese market EW12yo you guys were finishing off. Koji brought me two of em........I may have to open one as Jeff seemed to like it.

Randy

We made it back last night after a fun couple of days with our StraightBourbon.com friends and families. Many thanks to Bettye Jo, Therese, and Erica for a fabulous cook-out at the Boone's knob in New Haven. Even Mayor Tessie and Donnie came by for a visit!

Thanks, too, to Bobby and Amelia for another tour of the Cox 40 and the antique cooperage yard sculpture. Thanks to Anthony Cox for opening a few doors in Bullitt and Nelson counties, as well! Ed, Patty, Jeff -- great to see you all.

Last but not least, thanks to Jim for suggesting that we haul our families to Kentucky for a "no reason necessary other than the opportunity to see our friends" trip. It was good to see Steph and Alex, once again.

Nothing beats the hospitality and warmth of our dear Kentucky friends. It was great to see you all. We miss you already.

Sounds like a great time, but hey couldn't you all wait 'til April 29-30? smile.gif

Gary

We've been home for perhaps a bit more than an hour now. I am quite confused about what day or time it is, but how much fun we had is still quite clear to me.

The hospitality shown and company in general were, as usual, first rate. Many thanks to all who made it possible, and that means everyone who participated! Stephanie and Alex very much enjoyed meeting everyone. At long last, they can put faces and personalities to the names they hear on a daily basis.

I shot quite a few photographs. Going over them, it looks like I might have had a few shots, then the camera had a few shots, I don't know; things got a little sketchy late Tuesday night. lol.gif

I'll post some of the best here in the next day or so. I've only got a few minutes before I've got to get my son to baseball practice.

post-3-14489811802785_thumb.jpg

And speaking of hospitality and parting ways. Here's Cliff and Bobby exchanging goodbyes Wednesday afternoon.

post-3-14489811803237_thumb.jpg

For those of ya not familiar with HH folks...The handsome man behind the bar is Larry Kass grin.gif, Director of Corporate Communications at Heaven Hill...

He always makes time for us grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks Larry grin.gifgrin.gif

Bettye Jo

Indeed, it's my favorite of the Evan Williams bottlings. I find it full bodied and a bit on the woody site, but it's balanced by a good bit of vanilla and caramel. Too bad it's all going overseas frown.gif

WOW!!!

It took me a week to recover. What a great day. Great Food, Great Friends, Great Bourbon. Even got a chance to sneak in a stogie at the Gazebo. I regret that this was only one day, but it makes me look forward to the sampler when even more people, more food and more bourbon will be on hand. As usual Bettye Jo outdid herself. While most of the gang was sampling bourbon, Bettye Jo shared in the wonder of some CA wine that Jim shared. Outstanding.

We can't do this often enough. BTW Keeneland Day is April 15th. See my post under other topics.

toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.