Has anyone heard of Very Olde St. Nick?

Edward_call_me_Ed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone heard of Very Olde St. Nick?

It is available in Japan. I have a bottle, 8 yrs 43%. I was initially a bit disappointed. I was expecting some thing a bit more in your face explosion of flavor. I may have been having an off day. Some days my favorites don't taste right. I am not supposed to drink today, doctor's orders, but I have poured a tiny splash into my favorite glass to nose and to wet my tongue. I think my first impression may have been off. Nice sweet corn flavor, nice oak, vanilla, some leather. Not much spice or orange peel. Maybe it is a wheatie?

I have seen some very old, 20yr? 22 yr? in the discount. 25 yr old on the net. Very dark stuff. Bit pricy. A winter rye and a summer rye, too.

Made in the back hills of Kentucky, secret family recipe, Bardstown KY. Who really makes it? What is the mash bill?

Ed

At a guess by what you've said, I think it might be a Heaven Hill product. Others herecan probably give more information.

I believe it's a Drew Kulsveen bottling, though I don't know the source of the whiskey.

There were some pictures here a year or two back, but I searched and couldn't find them. They were beautiful. I found a post from Drew Kulsveen saying his company bottles it.

Maybe a better searcher could find them.

Tim

Kulsveen does indeed bottle dozens of different bottlings under the Very Olde St. Nick brand name for Allied Lomar, Inc., of Burlingame, California. Drew brought one bottle to the gazebo this past Tuesday night for us to enjoy.

Actually, Jeff, I think the bourbon in some of the bottles is older than Drew (though he may well have a hand in any recent bottlings) -- perhaps you are thinking of his dad, Even Kulsveen?

I think Drew brought some of this to WhiskyFest NYC. I can't find my notes to give details.

Yes, I meant his father. I was thinking of Drew because he was nice enough to treat some of us to a taste Tuesday evening at the gazebo. Unfortunately, since I had to head back to Lexington, I was not one of them frown.gif

I think I found the pictures you were talking about. They are in the "Show us your stash" thread.

Re: Show Us Your Stash!! [Re: brian12069]

#32317 - Sun Jul 18 2004 04:38 PM Attachment

Very attractive. Lots of beautiful pics in that thread.

Those are the bottles that I saw in the store. Well, I didn't see them all. My 8 yr old is in a different bottle. Short and stout. It was reasonably priced, 2,600 or 2,700 yen. Divide by 100 to get a rough US dollar price. All the other bottlings I have seen are twice or three times that. Still, I will get a couple of them in the future, one of the ryes and one of the 20 plus bourbons.

Ed

Here's a photo I had of the St. Nick whiskey. I used to bottle this originally-in the 80s I think.

Julian

post-7-14489811803756_thumb.jpg

Julian, just curious, do you retain in your personal archive at least one bottle of every brand and variation you have issued?

Gary

One more question with Gary's,

I am sure that the ones Drew bottled will have a Bardstown address on the

label, was yours labeled Lawrenceburg on the back or front ?

Koji

Unfortunately I don't have a sample of all I've bottled since 1983-too many damn bottles-not enough room to store them. My garage is already full.

I do have most of the labels so I guess I could make dummy bottles of each.

Koji:

All my bottlings would have had a Lawrenceburg, KY saddress on them, front or back.

Julian

Can you imagine the missus saying, "Now Julian, your chore this weekend is to clean out that pigsty mess in the garage!" wink.gif If you need extra space, I'll offer my basement since we don't have garages here. hee hee

If I remember the story, there's some gal out West that has this bottled and sent to Japan? I remember the sample I tried with Drew being very, very woody.

The 8 year old wasn't particularly woody, or I didn't think so. I like wood though. Those twenty somethings I saw certainly looked woody shocked.gif I will have to get one to see just how much wood I like in a bourbon. I can well believe that it was made for the Japanese market as many here, not all, buy based on what the label says and old is good.

Ed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.