Rock Hill Farms - Gold Chain Version

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I stopped at a neighborhood liquor store today to see if he had anything new or unusual. I saw he had some Tributes, but wanted $99 for them. Had some tax stamped cats and dogs too......but the Rock Hill Farms boxes caught my eye. I really enjoy RHF and grabbed one. But this box was different so I opened it up. It was the older bottle with the gold neck chain/medallion. Inside was a leaflet "signed" by Gary Gayheart...."Congratulations! By opening this package, you have identified yourself as a person of sophistication and your appreciation of the finer things in life is about to be rewarded."..LOL! However, it went on to say this bottle was from barrel 121, dumped on August 29, 1994! Great, now I've got a chance to taste a top shelf bourbon made/selected ten years apart for comparative purposes. Side by side, the older bottle is slightly darker. This older RHF is rich, full bodied and perhaps has slightly more oak influences than I recall the newer bottles have but definitely its from the same family.

May have to go buy all those older RHF's.

Randy

Randy you sure those tax stampers are all cats and dogs? Might there be e.g. a Grandad 1980's in there? That was good whiskey.

Gary

I became so attached to the look of the old medallion bottle that I've convinced myself the bourbon in the newer bottles isn't as good (which probably isn't the case). At one point I saved my last empty bottle into which I planned on pouring future bottles, but my wife threw it out.

I became so attached to the look of the old medallion bottle that I've convinced myself the bourbon in the newer bottles isn't as good (which probably isn't the case). At one point I saved my last empty bottle into which I planned on pouring future bottles, but my wife threw it out.

Never fails. cry.gif

Tim

The term 'cats and dogs' is never a reflection on the quality of the whiskey, just on the popularity or ubiquity of the brand. It doesn't mean 'junk,' it means small or regional brands, synonymous with 'odds and ends' in that sense.

Honestly, I hadn't even noticed the medallions were missing from the new ones. duh! Now I've got to dig through my packed boxes (we're in major residence hell right now) to see if I can find my old bottle. Or did my man throw it away!? shocked.gif

The bottles are so pretty I often reuse them for homemade liqueurs. I wanted to take a medallion and make a necklace out of it.

Are you guys in my house???

I decanted a damaged bottle into my old medallion RHF and finshed the contents yesterday. (1970's Old Crow)

As soon as the bottle was empty, The Patty was hovering in an attempt to confiscate and discard.

Then The KILLER, "Isn't it enough that I let you keep all these full ones around?"

Oh Man. Where's **Do Not Delete** when I need him.

He'd give me some good advice.

smiley_acbt.gif

Yeah Ed ..... and after you use his advice on the Patty, I can forward you the name of a good divorce lawyer who'll probably help you keep your bourbon at least.

Randy

Divorce Lawyer!!!

Yikes, It was just a spanking.

Do I get to keep the Harley?

Ed

The Patty was hovering in an attempt to confiscate and discard.

Lighten up on The Patty, Dude... lol.gif

I have a hunch it's her 'hovering' that keeps your house looking like it could be gracing the pages of Southern Living Magazine ... wink.gif.

She is gracious enough to tolerate us, feed us, and clean up after us for the MM Mile. Patty can come an' live at my house anytime (she'd run screaming into the street... lol.gif). She could help encourage me to throw away all that stuff I'm constantly stashing... smirk.gif

Bj

I must smile with these postings. Partly because some are complaining that their wife throws out the bottles and to balance you state (tl) that your man might have thrown it out.

Actually it was my wife who spurred the hunt for the older bottles and we found one -- probably a year ago. Must be we like clutter as we have both empty 'keepers,' partly full, and full.

Randy,

I take the blame for getting rid of the "gold chain." I think the Rock Hill package is beautiful, but that the plastic "gold" chain kind of cheapened the look. Anyway, the thought of comparing it to a new bottle of RHF is a fascinating prospect. Getting 2 single barrels to have a similar taste profile is a difficult task; getting 2 ten years apart may well neigh be impossible.

Ken

Getting 2 single barrels to have a similar taste profile is a difficult task; getting 2 ten years apart may well neigh be impossible.

Ken

Was that intentional, or an amusing accident ("neigh" instead of "nigh")? There is a horse on the bottle, I guess. wink.gif

I found one today from Barrel 45, dumped 9/23/96. Probably won't open it for a while simply because there's so much else to tempt me already open, but that may mean I wind up buying a newer one by then against which to taste it.

Anyway, your post prompted me to grab it when I saw it, which I've been resisting for awhile because of its price tag ($46 after this storeowner and I swapped discount and sales tax).

• 2 weeks later...

If the old Rock Hill Farms bourbons are better than the current version, they must be perfect! RHF bourbon is my favorite, right now. drink.gif

I can't imagine anything better! (Yes, I know it is all subjective, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.)

• 2 weeks later...

When was the gold chain version of RHF discontinued? I say one in a party store the other day. Is it worth $53-$54?

What are the differences in the bourbon quality? I also think that the current version (which I have not had) is a better looking package.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.