ORVW 15yo vs. PVW family reserve 15yo

nysquire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

we recently finished our bottle of ORVW 15yo.(squat bottle)

and found a Pappy 15yo Family reserve(new tall bottle).

I was under the impression that the tall bottle was replacing the squat bottle. Totally different bourbons.The squat bottle has many more characteristics, leaving the pallet wanting more.......So I took a ride yesterday and bought the last 5 ORVW 15yo squat bottles that were on the shelf....Call me greedy, but one of my favorites and I'll have some for a while...Also found 2 ORVW 10yo in the squat bottle as well. I didn't know these existed, and they are very nice as well. Nothing like the 15 yo though, but nice.

...So I took a ride yesterday and bought the last 5 ORVW 15yo squat bottles that were on the shelf...

I know the feeling. Last week, I grabbed the first 3 ORVW 15s I'd seen in a couple of months (they were never that plentiful here in the first place). Hopefully, they won't be the last I see, but if so at least I've got a few bottles bunkered. And, I haven't even tried the Pappy 15 yet -- I just know I love the older one.

Now, maybe I'll spring for the new Pappy.

Tim, in my opinion, the PVW 15 y/o is good, but not nearly as good as the ORVW 15. I picked up a bottle of ORVW 10 y/o 90 proof in Bristol, TN over the weekend. It's pretty good. Is the 10 y/o 90 rare, also? There were 2 bottles on the shelf.

I don't know about rare, Fred -- there just hasn't been a market developed for the Van Winkles (go figure!) here in Tennessee. We can order it here from the Nashville distributors (and I have -- by the way, there are both 90-proof and 107-proof editions), but you only see it on the shelves in those stores which strive to have one of everything.

I like all the Van Winkle bottles, but I do have a slight preference for former 15 year. Found it a bit rounder in the mouth. I only have one left here at the store . frown.gif Thinking of keeping it for myself.

I've been having a hard time getting my hands on the 10year 90 here in NYC. Been out of stock for a bit now. Carry all the Van Winkle I can get my hands on...proudly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.