Bookers, Bakers, Knob Creek, Makers

Creggor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My project for the weekend is to try Bookers, Bakers, Knbo Creek and Makers Mark all in the same day or two days. I do know if i try all four in the same day you may not be able to understand what I maybe saying about them. Heck I may even sound like Linn. I do know the small batch form on here has been as Linn would say dead, dead. dead. The last post was on 2/18 is no one even trying small batch Bourbons anymore??. What are you waiting for your tax refund. Go out and try some of these great Bourbons. Creggor.

For the record, "Small Batch" is a marketing term created by the Jim Beam Brands Company. In tasting the four Beam "small batch" products (number 4 is Basil Hayden's, not Maker's), you are not tasting as much variety as you might think. Booker's, Knob Creek and Baker's are all the same whiskey (i.e., the same mash bill) bottled at different ages and proofs. Basil Hayden's is a different mash bill, but made in the same distillery as the others and aged in the same warehouses.

More interesting would be to taste a super premium from each of four or five different sources, e.g., an extra-aged Weller or Fitzgerald, Rare Breed or one of the other super Turkeys, Blanton's from Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve from Brown Forman and one of the super Beams (Booker's, Baker's or Knob Creek).

--Chuck Cowdery

Hello, Chuck. Your right I do know that Makers is not one of the small bacth bourbons it just fit in when I started to say the words. I know they are all from Jim Beam Brands. I just noticed this section to be void of any postings for some time and thought I might try to breath a little life into this section. They are really good Bourbons. I just have not seen or read much about Bookers or Bakers on here. Linn pretty much said it all for Knob Creek.It is one fine Bourbon it's one of my favorites for the price. I have a bottle of Bookers and Bakers but have not tried them yet so I am going to do so this weekend.

Creggor.

Booker's is a unique experience because of its outrageously high proof, but when you cut it down to a normal drinking temperature it's basically Jim Beam Black Label, which costs about $14 a bottle compared to $50 for Booker's.

Baker's is another matter. I have a friend who pretty much drinks two brands, Wild Turkey 101 at home and Baker's when he is out, and I always drink it when we are together. It's quite good but, again, a little too close to Jim Beam Black Label to justify the price.

I think all four of the Small Batch bourbons are very good, but only Knob Creek has the price/value ratio right.

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You got that right Chuck! I also think that the flavor profile used for the barrel selection is superior to the others in the small batch collection.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Hello, Well I never made it past the Bakers & Bookers. Friday I tried the Bakers against the 90 Evan Williams Single Barrel and Russell Reserve. I must admitt that I liked the Bakers as good or better. Just something about that just stood out. Tonight saturday I tried the 126 porrf Bookers. Wow/. In advance I kinda felt I would not like this Bourbon neat because of the high proff. Boy was I wrong. I loved it neat and liked it even more cut with ice. No real burn just a real nice lingering finish that lasted forever. Bookers has pushed Jack Daniels Single Barrel and Sazerac 18yr Rye out of my top five ratings. I enjoyed Bookers much more than I ever thought I would. One marvelous drink. To me it's worth the extra money for Bookers. I have usually believed that you do get what you pay for. Do I like the price of Bookers. NO"" But I do believe it's worth the extra price you have to pay to get this fine Bourbon. I hvae tried many of the top notch rated and recommened Bourbons and Bookers is right up there with the best of the bunch as well as Bakers. I liked the Bakers but loved the Bookers much more. so. The Bookers is now in my top five and rightly so. It's one marvelous Bourbon. Thanks Creggor.

Hello, Now that I am fully awake, just a few additional thought on Bookers. As mentioned in my previous post I was not quite sure what to expect I first tried Bookers. The high proof actually was very enjoyable to me. It was easy for me to drink with just some ice. I kinda expected a lot of burn from the high proof. I was suprised how easy it was to drink. I must admit at $50 a bottle it's not one that. I can afford to drink on a regular basis. The Knob Creek is a much better value but how do you put a price on drinking the highest proof Bourbon available on the market today. To me it's kinda fun to be able to offer a friend this fine Bourbon. Today I actually went out to buy another bottle but at the local Walgreens liquor store they had Rare Breed on sale for $27.99 so I passed on the Bookers and got the Rare Breed. I thought it was a real good price. As for the Bakers I am glad I opened the bottle I had here. I like it very much but felt the Knob Creek at $26 and 90 Evan Williams SB are better buys. Then why pay $50 for Bookers?? Because it has the highest proof available on the today. They are selling some sizzle with the steak. Creggor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.