Paddy Irish

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I also get a pot still taste off the Blackbush, even though it does not contain any pure pot still whiskey. Maybe it's the triple distillation that does this, but I don't detect it in scotch triple distilled malts, such as the Rosebank.

Blackbush contains 80% Bushmills malt and 20% Midleton grain. It's much better than their 10 year old single malt, in my opinion.

I recently had the Connemara cask strength. I got it in a mini on the way to New York in duty free. It was really excellent. I want more...

The key to Black Bush, in addition to its high percentage of malt whisky, is its sherry cask finish.

Currently, there are three operating distilleries in Ireland;

There was actually a fourth one that got off the ground in the summer of 2003, in Coola Mills just outside of historic Kilbeggan in central Ireland.

Alas, recent developments doesn´t seem to bode well for the future. The site which held their homepage has been suspended and apparently, the person in charge of operations presently doesn´t reply to letters or e-mail.

It would be said if the project would turn out to be stillborn as their most promising ambition was to produce a true pot-still whiskey. Don´t get me wrong, I love Green spot, Redbreast and Jameson 15 yo but they´re all from the same distillery and it would have been interesting indeed to get to compare them with a product of different origin.

Any one else who have heard something that´s in a more positive vein about this distillery?

Yes, I noticed the website disappeared too. I wonder what happened.

There was also a plan to open a distillery in Donegal. Rionnan Walsh was the orgainser. It was to be called Clooghill, or something similar. I have heard nothing of this recently either.

Look up www.celticmalts.com

• 7 months later...

Speaking of Paddy, I recently located a tax-stamped bottle. Imported by "Austin Nichols" of all companies....hmmmmm....

Speaking of tax stamp Irish, I have a bottle of Dumphy's in my basement on display. It is a really nice bottle but I don't like their whiskey too much. This is one of my very few 'collectible' bottles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.