How many bottles do you bunker?

camduncan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't have a bunker. I open every bottle I buy.

What I do, though, is save the best bourbons for special occasions. Unfortunately, I am starting to get low on some of my best bourbons, many are "out-of-print." Darn!

It ain't cheap, but if you decide you like a particular spirit, you can buy backup bottles after you've opened and tasted your first bottle and decided that you like it. That way, you'll have some "proven to be nice" spirits around....

I do this with limited release bottlings quite often since I know that if I don't buy it now, I may never be able to buy it again.

Another nice thing is that if I know I have a backup bottle, I'm less hesitant to share the open bottle with friends.

Best of luck,

-monte-

i hear ya! thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out for sure. I'm going to scout around and see what i can find at my local liquor stores.

i've been a JD drinker for years and still love the stuff. Looking forward to learning a lot more about bourbon from this board!

toast.gif.

Well, If you love JD, which no disrespect intended is not even in the same universe as the better bourbons discuss here, you're gonna BE IN HEAVEN once you start tasting great bourbons!!

yup and when i got that first bottle of Bookers, it was like unearthing a big ol' gold nugget!

woohoo.gif

the flavor and depth was astounding to me. i'm really excited to taste more great bourbons. this board is a great resource! thanks.

Aptly said. Note taken.

I was kidding about myself and apologize if I offended anyone else but me.

Ed icon_redface.gif

Yeah, me too, I've read about a bunch of bourbons here that I never knew existed that I'm now gunning for! Booker's is definitely real fine, try Baker's and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr 107 proof and the 15 yr, they'd make a nice flight with the Booker's!

I don't really "bunker" anything, but I'm just now getting to the point where I'll buy multiple bottles of something if it happens to make an unscheduled (and therefore fleeting) appearance at our state liquor stores. I'll buy as much Stagg as I can mail-order, and when I'm lucky enough to find something like VWFRR (one of my favorites, and I've only seen it once in these parts), I will again buy as much as I can.

I have no intention of keeping it locked up for years, though. I'm going to drink it. I made a promise to myself when I started getting into whisk(e)y that I would never not drink something I owned just because it was rare and/or expensive. If I own it, I'm going to drink it. Admittedly, some things are "special occasion" drinks that I won't pour casually while watching a movie. But they DO all get opened and poured.

Admittedly, some things are "special occasion" drinks that I won't pour casually while watching a movie. But they DO all get opened and poured.

Same here. I still have three (non-bourbon) bottles from 1990 that are so special I have one drink or so, per year. Only on very special occasions. But I am drinking them and someday they will be gone.

Tim

Tim,

Hopefully we will all take the last sip of our last treasured bottle just seconds before the meteor hits. At least that's my hope.

In regard to the original question, I wonder whether a request for a definition is in order. If I buy two bottles of something, open one and set the other on a shelf to await its turn, is the second bottle bunkered? Is the answer the same if I were to buy a case and open one bottle immediately, with the intention to open the others in due course? What about a purchase of a single bottle of some rare or expensive bottling, which is set aside to be opened on some unspecified special occasions?

I can't even imagine buying a bottling, whether one bottle or a case, with no intention of opening and enjoying it. I suppose I might make an exception where there is a strong, personal element involoved. For example, if I were to manage to attend the KBF and if all the SB'ers present signed a sealed bottle for me (never mind which bottling), I might decide to leave it unopened forever (or the end of my life, whichever comes first). Then again, if the contents were sufficiently appealing, I might just polish it off and keep the empty.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

I tend to think of all of your examples as 'bunkered'.

All of my current bottles are one off. Of the 24 bottles currently on my shelves, 11 are not available in Australia and only 3 remain unopened -

2004 Stagg which I'm saving for my wedding day in August.

Wild Turkey Freedom - was only picked up last month - I'm waiting for an opportunity to open it.

Blantons Original - haven't felt like drinking it, but will open it soon.

Most of my bottles are kept for 'occasions'. I don't consume the good ones on my own watching TV

In my original post, I used Evan Williams SB as the example because a) it's available Downunder and B) each bottling is easily identified due to it vintage dating.

I think I've posted later in the thread that my purpose in bunkering a couple of bottles of EW is so I can sit down and taste 4 or 5 different vintages in a few years time. To achieve this, I was thinking of purchasing 2 bottles of each vintage as the new ones are released. As the years progress and tastings occur, the older ones will eventually disapear. skep.gif

Hopefully we will all take the last sip of our last treasured bottle just seconds before the meteor hits.

I didn't know about this, How long do we have? I may need to change my consumption to time this better! lol.gif

Hopefully we will all take the last sip of our last treasured bottle just seconds before the meteor hits. At least that's my hope.

Then hopefully by the time it hits, I'll be well and truely passed out from consuming all of my Van Winkle & Stagg 22.giffalling.gifdrink.gif

Bobby,

My reference to a meteor was only a metaphor for that cosmic eventuality that awaits each of us. (Please pardon my phraseology; I'm on my fourth drink this evening. I get even more verbose when under the influence. drink.gifcool.gif)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Life is for living and Bourbon's for drinking, not keeping. BUT, when you know something is in limited supply and you can only drink so much in a week falling.gif, then I do stock up, within reason. My current bunker:

VWFRR 13YO x 2

GTS 2003 x 1

Compared to around 30 opened bottles of Bourbon at the moment.

I also plan to buy another bottles of the 1985 Van Winkle Rye to open at Xmas or something.

My reference to a meteor was only a metaphor for that cosmic eventuality that awaits each of us

Good thing! I'm not ready for a pensive summer. searching.gif

Yes, I also believe we are going on two definitions of "bunkered". To some, it seems to refer to bottles that are put away more or less permanently, as collectibles. To others, including me, it is just those bottles that haven't come to their time to be opened, yet.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had already thought about it, but didn't feel like mentioning it.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.