Booker's/Knob Creek mix

rwilps
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just a note to let you all know about successful results to my most recent sacreligious experiment. I had a little Booker's left in a bottle - not enough to make a decent pour - and I remembered posts that Booker's and Knob Creek were basically the same whiskey - one with more age, and one with more proof. So I mixed a dram of 1/3 Booker's and 2/3 KC. What a nice surprise! The Booker's warmed, lengthened and sweetened the dry KC finish, and gave it a nice kick. The flavor of dark chocolate often noted with KC was spread out and broad, with a thicker mouthfeel. My guess is that I put together about a 107 proof sipping whiskey here. It took the Booker's out of the realm of a curiosity, and put some oak in its backbone. Since I hate the idea of diluting any whiskey and I like a hundred or better proof, this is a recipe I'll remember.

Ralph Wilps

Hi Ralph!

Try your experiment with one half Knob, one half Bookers. I'd be curious if it tastes like OGD 114.

Be well,

Omar

Ralph, you say the resulting drink was 107 proof? Good Heavens, man! You've invented Baker's! wink.gif

I invented Baker's! I feel like the Russians in WWII reverse engineering a crashed DC-3. I guess I will have to try Baker's - what's the age on it? My hybrid would extrapolate to an 8 year old. By the way, Omar, I don't think this stuff has the OGD mashbill, so the oak overshadows the rye here. I've tried OGD 114 - it's like OGD BIB with more heat and a less-balanced finish (at least to my beginner's taste).

Ralph

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.