Best Bourbon for < $40

Geo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I love a hotter bourbon, sweet, yet smooth.

I drink Old grand dad 114 neat and Wild Turkey Russel reserve, Knob Creek, and my favorate...but too expensive is Bookers. Any suggestions?

I have heard good things about Old Rip Van Winkle, but only could afford the 10 year old. The 15 year old is over my budget. How about the special Reserve by Old Rip Van Winkle?

confused.gif

In San Diego, the best bottling I can find under 40 dollars is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Its usually 30-35 dollars here.

Mine would have to be Weller Antique. For $40 you can get 2 bottles.

Baker's is right at $40.

Above $40 - Booker's.

YMMV

toast.gif

Weller 12yo is 90 proof (not exactly 'hot'), a wheater (sweet) and around $30 for a 1.75L (the only size available here, oddly).

Eagle Rare Single Barrel is 101 proof and $25-$30ish. Evan Williams Single Barrel is even less expensive.

All enjoyable.

Have you priced the ORVW 15 yr in your area? I just bought a handful of bottles last week and I paid right around $40.00.

In Australia, the best bourbons under AU $40 would probably be Elijah Craig 12yo, Jim Beam Black, Beams Choice, Wild Turkey and Evan Williams 7yo.

If I take the ammount literally, and use US $40 or approx AU $53... it opens up the field to include Evan Williams SB, Bulleit, Wild Turkey 8yo, Makers Mark and Jim Beam Small Batch with Port.

Here in Chicago, the list of under $40 bourbons is quite extensive. For around $15 you pick up the Elijah Craig 12, the W.L. Weller 12 and the Ancient Ancient Age--all three excellent pours (IMHO). Step up 10 bucks or so and you enter another great category (not necessarily better, but excellent in their own right). These would include the Evan Williams vintage '95, Russel's Reserve, and of course Buffalo Trace. All of these shouldn't set you back more than $25. Who needs scotch with prices like these?

Really wanna get bit by your bourbon? I love the same thing. Try these.

Old Bardstown 101 proof (if you can find it)

Bulleit (an oldtime style. very good)

Old Weller Antique 107 proof (very sweet with some fire)

Wild Turkey Rare Breed (higher priced, but under $40)

Ancient Age 100 proof BIB (cheap cheap cheap good good good)

Old Ezra 101 proof 7 year

If you really want a "hotter" (and I think you mean spicy) treat, try some Rye whiskies (I call them "Bourbons Brother"), like:

Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof (GREAT whiskey, and very cheap)

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (not sure about price)

Wild Turkey Rye (my wife loves this and it kicks ass!!)

Most of all, have fun!!! woohoo.gif

Oh, welcome aboard Geo. Your gonna love this group if you love bourbon. These are one great bunch of guys and gals. Tons of info, knowledge, and selflessness. Really a pleasure to read the posts and get the feedback. Some great people here. Isn't that what it should be about?

Ask your questions here, and you'll get answers. I wonder how many years of knowledge Clever.gif the active members in this group have <u>collectively</u> ? Maybe 1000 years?

Keep your eyes out for Chuck Cowdery and Gary Gillman's posts. They are fountains of knowledge.

WELCOME!!! toast.gif

rittenhouse is highly esteemed on this site from what I've come across. I still havent found any bottles in San Diego however. it definitely is on my to buy list as soon as i see one. Ive never had a straight rye before but when i do, i want it to be a good one.

Well, it's not hot but for under 40 bucks, Van Winkle Lot B is hard to beat in my book. And for 29.99 at a local store I can get a 1.75 of Elijah Craig 12 that lasts me at least a couple of weeks for a daily pour. Also, here in the St Louis area there is a store that sells Pappy Van Winkle 15 for under 35 bucks and that is quite a bargain considering before it came out I couldn't touch ORVW 15 for less than 45 here.

Well, it's not hot but for under 40 bucks, Van Winkle Lot B is hard to beat in my book.

I wish. My last bottle cost me $43.

Well, it's not hot but for under 40 bucks, Van Winkle Lot B is hard to beat in my book.

I wish. My last bottle cost me $43.

That's pretty good.

To buy a bottle from the only retailer in Australia who stocks Van Winkle (he owns the rights) costs approx $90 US plus the shipping from the capital city where his store is located (approx $7.50 US per bottle)

Well, I read "hotter" as "high proof," although I can see it as "spicy" as well. For both, I'd second the Wild Turkey Rye, about $22 here in Atlanta, and should be easy to find. Definitely try Baker's; it and Basil Hayden seem to be the "left overs" of Beam's small batch and I've seen prices creep down sometimes. (Don't bother with the Basil Hayden unless "hotter" means spicy and you want a low proof, smooth expression of it. I like BH for what it is, but not at its price; the OCG 114 is a much, much better value.)

Haven't seen many Heaven Hill products mentioned, and you might want to try the Fighting Cock at 103 proof. Cheap enough for an experiment.

And definitely do the ORVW 10 year 107 proof. Under $30 here, and you have to sample a quality wheater.

Bob

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.