Russell's Reserve 90 proof

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone know anything about this bottle I picked up today? It is a 90 proof expression of Russell's Reserve (Usually 101) and it's in a bottle similar to the Tribute/Freedom. Do I have a new or older expression?

post-134-1448981185885_thumb.jpg

Here's another picture showing a little more detail.

post-134-14489811858985_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

Here's hoping it's an older or export-only bottling. Word to the contrary would force me to lay in a case or more of the 101 proof version (after consulting the actuarial tables for a 62 year-old male).

Just out of curiousity, where did you buy it? A mom 'n' pop store or a liquor Mega Lo Mart?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

I picked it up a Thoroughbred Liquors in Lexington, A relatively large liquor store, though smaller than the LB's. Sal, the owner, is a bourbon guy and regularly has older/harder to find items (The man has layed-in for what looks like 100 bottles of the new Stagg). It was a lone bottle behind some Pewter-topped Kentucky Spirits, and was next to an entire row of the traditional Russell's Reserve. I wonder if it was found in the back? I didn't know RR was ever 90 proof though. skep.gif The label looks a little too tattered to be brand new.

I know all about that one, Jeff. You are the owner of the new Russells Reserve at 90 proof. No idea if the 101 RR is going to become history yet. It is available only in Ky until September and beyond. With the national rollout then. I saw some today as well but was busy cleaning off a shelf, as it were. toast.gif

I had mixed feelings seeing that and that perhaps the 101 hertitage is being forsaken, that said, it should be one of the best 10 year 90 proof bourbons available.

Thanks Bobby toast.gif

Unfortunately I thought I had something rare for a moment (I guess I actually do for a little while lol.gif ) Anyway, I think I'll bring this to the Gazebo this weekend and gauge everyone's opinion on it.

It was a lone bottle behind some Pewter-topped Kentucky Spirits, and was next to an entire row of the traditional Russell's Reserve.

That should change soon, I saw a Point of Sale display similiar to the 1792 or the Knob Creek one where there are about 3 layers of maybe 12 each Those were lined up 3X4. And some conspicious poster type signage on that. Dave may be right, start laying in the 101 RR unless we get word that both are to be available.

Kudos to Wild Turkey for remembering Kentucky first on this one, maybe they heard some clamor!

Folks, I hope they keep the current Russell bottle (and proof) as well.

It's not just the watering down that bugs me. Switching to the same bottle as Freedom and Tribute, it looks like a cost-cutting move. The original Russell Reserve bottle has an elaborate etched bird with painted lettering on the glass -- much classier than this Knob Creek look-alike paper label. Makes me wonder if the regular 101 Turkey bottle will be next.

Omar

You know what all of this means, don't you? Time to turn some 101 proof Russell's into a bunker queen! wink.gifwink.gif

If they do, I would assume that it is over the objections of Jimmy Russell. At least that is the impression he left me with from his interview in Chuck's video from years back.

i'm told by industry insiders at pernod-ricard that it is most likely a permanent change. it has been lowered in proof to compete with maker's mark and knob. if i were you i'd hunt down every last original 101 russell's reserve and buy them up. i liked the old bottle, label, etc. much much better. that said, i have not tasted the new product.

Omar,

it looks like a cost-cutting move

My thoughts exactly! They offered this expression at The Sampler last night. It is what you would expect it to be...

I asked the gentleman at the table (Jimmy Russell wasn't there at this point) what would make them do such a thing... skep.gif The lengthy explanation pretty much boiled down to 'marketing'...

I doubt Jimmy Russell was happy with the changes, but I don't know that for sure. He was at the gazebo last night, I think a couple of folks asked him about it. Maybe they'll chime in here.

It's sad really, that a skilled craftsman like Mr. Russell has to deal with what some damn marketing dept. thinks... smiley_acbt.gif

Bj

According to the gentlemaen manning the table at the sampler, the change is indeed a marketing strategy to "attract the younger generation". Their research shows the younger bourbon drinkers like the lower proof....and not the hotter/spicier expressions. How's that for a bunch of bull!

Gee, it couldn't possibly be that they up their output by 12% just by lowering the proof. Of course, that's nothing compared to what it will save them in taxes (I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was significant when we looked at the difference when JD lowered their proof).

I'll believe they mean it if they cut the price accordingly. Of course, they won't. hot.gif

Yeah, I stopped hearing what he was saying somewhere around

"Their research shows"... lol.gif

27.gif

I inquired at the table as well, but didn't speak to Jimmy Russell about it. The one fellow says it is the same whiskey and profile, just watered down to 90 proof, to which I said " Exactly". One fellow excused himself. One wonders using the same logic, if someday there might be a 90 proof Bookers or Makers with no wax at all. ( Retorical question) Cliff, Julian and myself shared a chuckle at Pappy's Quote, " Why ship all that damn water all over the country"!

May the marketing department at Wild Turkey get everything they wished for on this one.

Btw the bottling house manager told me the amount of time they expect the old version to deplete, let's put it this way, if you liked it, you better buy it, and soon.

OK, here's the tax part of it . . .

The Federal Excise Tax on a proof gallon (gallon of alcohol at 100 proof) is $13.50.

The current rate: (13.50 * 101) / 100 = $13.635 (per gallon of 101 proof)

The 90 proof rate: (13.50 * 90) / 100 = $12.15 (per gallon of 90 proof)

Since a case (9 liters, or 12 750s, which equals 9 liters) is 2.378 gallons, they're saving $3.53 per case in Federal taxes alone. Add in the 12% increase in output, and you're starting to talk about real money.

I guess given the recently announced layoffs, this probably shouldn't surprise us.

Well, if they're using all this as a way to remain financially viable as a company, then I guess let them do it. Some Wild Turkey is better than no Wild Turkey at all, and I'd hate to see them go away!

Their research shows the younger bourbon drinkers like the lower proof....and not the hotter/spicier expressions. How's that for a bunch of bull!

I'm not sure if I qualify as a "younger bourbon drinker" at 35, but I know I definately don't like a hot and spicy bourbon at lower proof. The bottle of WT Freedom I opened yesterday was a big dissapointment to me. Nothing but alcohol burn from start to finish - I couldn't even taste the whiskey properties frown.gif I much prefer Rare Breed... or give me a Van Winkle, Evan Williams or Bookers any day. Something that has a taste and character to explore without lifting burning my mouth out.

A couple of us did ask Jimmy about it directly at the Gazebo following the Sampler, and he confirmed that the 101 will be permanently phased out as the 90-proof version enters each market (so they will, apparently, coexist for a while, but for separate markets). It currently is only available in KY (so the 101 there is limited to what's in supply right now), and will enter new markets as production ramps up.

I trust that this change will only be made (for now) to the Russell's Reserve, and not to their main product.

Time to stock up!

I purhcased a bottle of the new lower proof Russell's Reserve in Louisville this weekend along with 3 of the 101 proof...same price for both.

Jon

"Say it ain't so, Joe! Say it ain't so!"

I feel just like the small boy quoted above upon finding out that the White Sox threw the World Series.

I am... flabbergasted. This is absolutely one of the most bone-headed things I have seen or heard of in recent memory. Now, I don't mean to pass judgement before trying the new product, but I absolutely adore the 101 proof RR. It irks me something fierce to see the Wild Turkey brand ruined by the same block-headed whiz-kids who dropped the proof on JD (not that, IMHO, JD was anything special to begin with).

As much as I respect Jimmy Russell, Wild Turkey has now lost my business. More and more, it seems that Buffalo Trace is the only American distillery left with a respect for tradition and fine bourbon.

Who knows, the RR 90 proof could be an incredible product. Maybe the extra water opens up the additional flavors. All I know is that if I want water in my whiskey, I'll add it my damn self. Funny that if the product had always been 90 proof, I probably wouldn't be reacting this way. But by God, when the man who is the heart and soul of the Wild Turkey distillery wants to bottle his whiskey at 101 proof, that's how I want to drink it. This lack of respect for Jimmy and for the consumer is unpardonable.

I also don't understand the logic behind their statements - they are trying to compete with Knob Creek... Knob Creek is 100 proof... how is dropping for 101 to 90 proof going to make it easier to compete? Oh well. It's always sad to see an icon of the industry looted and plundered for short term gain, but I suppose we'll all have to start expecting this to happen more regularly.

Demonstration.gif

I got the same song and dance as the others at the WT table at the Sampler. After being told of the demographics and that it was a marketing decision I could only shake my head incredulously. I know it's beating a dead horse but here are my two cents.

Russell's Reserve is an established well received product that fills a niche between the standard 101 and the barrel proof offering of Rare Breed. If they want to open up a market aimed at the "younger bourbon drinker" who desires a lower proof, and at the same time utilizing the bottles they are now using, why not create a new product that is 90 proof from the beginning? Why risk alienating those of us who love the existing product? They could call it Wild Turkey Tacky Tatoo or Wild Turkey Bling or even Wild Turkey Too Lazy to Get Up Off the Couch and Get a Job. The last thing this new generation seems to want is anything Reserved. So reserve it for US please. And listen to Jimmy for goodness sake. He's the one lining your pockets.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.